Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

and I cant deny that theres a huge part of my cold war upbringing that just wants to get involved and fuck these people up once and for all.
this whole war could almost be described as amateur bullshit.  I watched video today of Uk troops inspecting another abandoned tank and they found that all the ERA blocks were either filled with rubber inserts or empty.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 10, 2022, 10:05:03 PM
This is certainly a publicity win for the Ukrainians.  Do we know whether it had any material impact on the war, or just whether it's giving the Russians one more thing to worry about?

My understanding is that the Ukrainians were hoping to launch a counteroffensive in the direction of Kherson.  I gather not hearing much about that lately means either they haven't had much success or they haven't achieved anything worth bragging about?

From what I've seen, the Ukrainians are systematically blowing up all military targets in the Kherson region.  The Ukrainian attacks are much more focused on actual military targets of value.  Unlike Russian attacks which seem to consist of throwing HE everywhere.  They are bragging about it, but it kind of goes under the radar since they are knocking out real targets (ammo dumps and railroads for example) pretty
routinely and at a relatively high rate.

Gusington

^Goes along with the Russian aims of obliterating Ukraine altogether...both civilian and military targets. Ukraine started out by trying to hold the Russians, and now shifted to destroying Russian military targets. But I wonder how long we have until this turns into a war of vengeance on the Ukrainian side too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 10, 2022, 04:50:01 PM
everything on the bottom row was destroyed.
what limited footage from the ground post strike is from that area and everything is plastered.

Ah, good!   :clap: They must have cleared them off the line pronto in the damage-assessment shot.

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 10, 2022, 10:28:38 PM
I watched video today of Uk troops inspecting another abandoned tank and they found that all the ERA blocks were either filled with rubber inserts or empty.

Good lord! -- no wonder the reactive armor hasn't been helping them as much as expected!

Of course, even when the blocks are filled with charges, the quality could be crap. Or even if the quality is good, the wiring might be crap. Or non-existent. It's hard to find the end of the rabbit-hole of "pretending to work while pretending to be paid"...  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: MengJiao on August 11, 2022, 05:38:21 AM
From what I've seen, the Ukrainians are systematically blowing up all military targets in the Kherson region.  The Ukrainian attacks are much more focused on actual military targets of value.  Unlike Russian attacks which seem to consist of throwing HE everywhere.  They are bragging about it, but it kind of goes under the radar since they are knocking out real targets (ammo dumps and railroads for example) pretty routinely and at a relatively high rate.

I briefly saw an article yesterday snorfing at the Ukrainians for their Kherson drive supposedly stalling out of the gate, and I didn't have time to read it; but picking off the enemy forces "with an iron hand" beforehand is surely the way to prepare for a successful drive.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 11, 2022, 07:52:37 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 11, 2022, 05:38:21 AM
From what I've seen, the Ukrainians are systematically blowing up all military targets in the Kherson region.  The Ukrainian attacks are much more focused on actual military targets of value.  Unlike Russian attacks which seem to consist of throwing HE everywhere.  They are bragging about it, but it kind of goes under the radar since they are knocking out real targets (ammo dumps and railroads for example) pretty routinely and at a relatively high rate.

I briefly saw an article yesterday snorfing at the Ukrainians for their Kherson drive supposedly stalling out of the gate, and I didn't have time to read it; but picking off the enemy forces "with an iron hand" beforehand is surely the way to prepare for a successful drive.

I guess it doesn't matter if they "stall" but obliterate the Russian forces in the area.  Why go there if their partizans can give info resulting in devastatingly precise targetting?  They can just wait
while they get more and more firepower and increase their dominance of the area while they can target the Russians precisely and the Russians have no idea what's going on.
Possibly this is a new mode of warfare: destroy the enemy with precision weapons and then see what happens.  Do the Russians keep feeding trucks in (since apparently the railroads in the
area aren't functional)?  Or what?

Once the Russians are dominated in the area, the Ukrainians can explore other options -- but why should they attack if they are effectively wiping out Russia's forces?  Why give up the advantage
of having a foe who has staked himself out to be slaughtered?

GDS_Starfury

there is a point where you have to attack while keeping in mind there are other areas of the front that are competing for the same resources.
theres also the pr aspect to it.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 11, 2022, 09:41:17 AM
there is a point where you have to attack while keeping in mind there are other areas of the front that are competing for the same resources.
theres also the pr aspect to it.

Yeah,but look at in terms of what choices the Russians have: they can keep reinforcing the Kherson area where adding extra forces just adds to the targets without giving any benefits
and also depletes their push in the Donbas or they can let the Kherson area go while sort of beating on the Donbas.  It's a lose-lose situation and the Ukrainians are stressing this by saying
the Crimea is their target so the Russians have an even worse situation in that they have no choice but to dribble forces into the Kherson area at some minimal rate
to protect the Crimea thus gaining themselves nothing
but steadily accellerating losses and less and less pressure on the Donbas.  The overall loss to the Ukrainians is losing ground in the Donbas, but Russian forces continue to spiral downward.

GDS_Starfury

reports are now that the UkA disabled or damaged all four main bridges that used to supply Russian troops in Kherson.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 11, 2022, 02:08:38 PM
reports are now that the UkA disabled or damaged all four main bridges that used to supply Russian troops in Kherson.

And I think we've seen the Ukraines show patience ... they'll starve them out.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

Windigo

it'd be easier if you knew if they meant 'whole and complete' airplane.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

there is the 'none' option  <:-)

FarAway Sooner

That some pretty funny dark humor.

GDS_Starfury