A Combat Mission Tactical Vignette

Started by IICptMillerII, March 21, 2022, 09:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IICptMillerII

On the importance of key terrain!

I've decided to take the plunge and try out a wargmaing blog after being inspired by a few fellow wargamers and colleagues. Here is a link to my first post, where I use a recently concluded PBEM to illustrate the importance of key terrain:

https://millerswargamingvault.blogspot.com/2022/03/visualized-in-combat-mission-key-terrain.html

Some choice shots as an appetizer:

JudgeDredd

That's an excellent read...thank you very much  O0

Bookmarked.
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

IICptMillerII

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm still learning the ropes of writing these kinds of articles.

W8taminute

Really nice article!  Thanks for sharing.  I don't have any of the newer Combat Missions but I do have the old CMBB and CMAK.  May have to fire them up and play around a bit. 

I love how inspiration comes from the gaming community.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Great read Cpt. Miller!  :clap:  I loved Paulding's videos too BTW.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

I assumed a vignette meant something small :).

Great writing  :bd:.

IICptMillerII

Thanks for the feedback and compliments all!

Quote from: W8taminute on March 22, 2022, 09:06:42 AM
Really nice article!  Thanks for sharing.  I don't have any of the newer Combat Missions but I do have the old CMBB and CMAK.  May have to fire them up and play around a bit. 

I love how inspiration comes from the gaming community.   O0

Thanks! The old CM games are certainly an acquired taste at this point, but if you are used to them its hard to go wrong there. Some of the vehicle models still hold up!

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 22, 2022, 10:58:05 AM
Great read Cpt. Miller!  :clap:  I loved Paulding's videos too BTW.

Thanks Sir Slash! I go back to the Paulding videos all the time. Sometimes it is to remind myself of fundamentals, sometimes it is to enjoy the gameplay. They really are exceptional vids.

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 22, 2022, 12:11:24 PM
I assumed a vignette meant something small :).

Great writing  :bd:.

Thanks! Yeah, it did end up running a tad long, but I figured it was better to be thorough. Plus, the second half has lots of pictures and gifs which I think makes up for the length somewhat.

Vox

Capt Miller, I enjoyed reading your blog. I like the singular (i.e. terrain) theme approach. Maybe explore other topics  like importance of “communication” and how it relates to RL and the games we play.
One feature of CM  and some other WGs like the Scourge of War is that they put the player’s eyeball on the ground for a realistic view of terrain features unlike top-down conventional WGs.

IICptMillerII

Thanks Vox! Yeah I am thinking about doing some more entries like this. I might keep it simple and just do more entries that go into depth on the elements of OCOKA. Could prove to be a good resource/reference. That is if I get around to doing all that!