Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrdman57

I concur with the delay. I just got home and realized a turn is due. No way I can make it in before the timer.

mkivcs

I had to throw together a turn in 30 minutes when I discovered turn needed shortly before deadline so results likely to be a mess but even worse for anyone who missed it. Agree that 72 hours point has been reached.

JasonPratt

Sorry I didn't catch this before the turn generated, byrdman. :(

I have now set the timer permanently to 72 hours.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

While I hope I'll be able to play my turn tomorrow, I've been sidelined this afternoon by some kind of incipient stomach bug. Nothing nasty yet, but I feel... roily.

Warm and roily.

Hopefully by tomorrow morning it will be gone, but just in case I thought I should give a head's up, I might be delaying the game a bit. (Not yet, hopefully not at all.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Still very buggy this afternoon after (what should have been) lunch, so I'm going to postpone the turn until Sunday night (central US standard time). I feel reasonably sure I'll be able to send in a turn tomorrow if not later today, but I want to be safe.

(Besides, I see six other people haven't sent their turns yet either, with considerably less than 12 hours to go, including some of the game's largest nations.)

Huw the Poo

OK mate...just concentrate on getting better. :)

JasonPratt

Yay, I'm not the last person to make my turn this turn after all!  ;D

Although, let us say, I have a feeling my time in this game will be coming to an end within the next game year or thereabouts. ;)

claes

Sorry guys I am still having problems with my computer.  If you can set me to AI Jason I would be grateful.  I should be up and running for future games, and I can't wait.

JasonPratt

Maybe someone put out of the game already would like to come back in on your nation, Claes?

Although then again due to final summer vacations people are finding it hard to get subs right now, even temp subs (as I discovered when looking for people to take over Ulm). I'll set your faction to AI eventually, after giving people a chance to kick in.

JasonPratt

I just created a general Dom3/4 sub hunting thread, which I hope an ad/mod will sticky soon. (Honestly, this Groghammer thread should be unstickied, but I don't know how to do that. It's flattering to be stickied, but we have other games running, too, and Grogham isn't that important even though we were the largest game to date once upon a time and might still currently be.)

You should post a sub call there, Claes. :)

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 12, 2013, 08:29:13 AM
I just created a general Dom3/4 sub hunting thread, which I hope an ad/mod will sticky soon. (Honestly, this Groghammer thread should be unstickied, but I don't know how to do that. It's flattering to be stickied, but we have other games running, too, and Grogham isn't that important even though we were the largest game to date once upon a time and might still currently be.)

You should post a sub call there, Claes. :)

if you PM LB or Brant im sure itll get sorted

Lunaje

I think we have a problem for a running game. Two of the major nations staled last turn - Ermor, Agartha. Is the second time for Agartha, so maybe he is not aware that the game started again? In any case, it changes the global situation pretty much. Maybe we should pause and see if everyone is still here?

Also, any player can set himself to AI by giving the order in-game and then sending the turn. I'm thinking that, if Jason tries to set Mictlan AI by doing this himself, the thing that happened with Tien Chi will prevent you from doing so again.
Gettings subs is becoming really hard lately, judging by the other forums. However, an AI nation is still an easy land grab for the nations around it, which is certainly an advantage.

claes

My problem is that I happened to brick the computer that has Dom3 installed on it or I would have done it myself.  I have been using public terminals at school for email and other things.

One thing is for sure though - next game I am taking detailed notes.  But I'll post in the sub thread and see what becomes of it.

JasonPratt

Huh, yes I saw that Ermor and Agartha were running long there, but I didn't know they staled. If we get closer to next turn and they haven't shown up yet, I'll pause (long-delay) the game and try to drop them a line.

(Although if Ermor stays in stasis for a while, I won't complain. ;) )

Incidentally, I wish Llama had an admin command for pausing the game. Seems like it would be easy to code one.

elitesix

Ermor has had it's first stale in the whole game, so I don't think that necessarily implies anything.

In a newbie game this big, it's expected people are going to stale; hopefully not too often, but some people are going to decide that dom3 is just not their cup of tea. And that's ok. We shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking everyone wants to play this game at 100%. That being said, Mictlan and Agartha though are getting up there, though we've heard from claes.

If you delay the game without players reasonably and timely requesting the delay in order to prevent stales, you risk other players losing interest in the game and I think you actually increase the chances someone will stale. This merits caution before hitting the delay button.

My honest opinion: We started this game on April 1, 2013 on a 48 hour clock. It's been roughly 4 months or 120 days. We're at turn 46. We're almost a month behind.  I think many of us are wondering if it is worth it to continue a game that will likely take 2-4 months to finish at this pace, with dominions 4 around the corner. I have to say I'm not sure about my interest level for an already 4 month old game that is going 3+  months into dominions 4 time.