Age of Steam game

Started by rstites25, March 26, 2017, 12:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodall

Shares raise $5 worth of capital in AOS, I believe.

rstites25

Quote from: jwoodall04 on March 30, 2017, 01:19:42 PM
Shares raise $5 worth of capital in AOS, I believe.

This is correct. At game start, everyone has already issued 2 shares ($10). Everyone then decides how many additional shares to issue. We each issued 2, giving everyone an additional $10 and a total of $20.

rstites25

Woodall

Ah! I should read the rules. I played this once like 5 years back, but I don't really remember the details. For instance, why I would bid for turn order on Turn 1.

rstites25

2 reasons probably--1) so you can get the action that you want and 2) so you will build first/earlier and get the route that you want.

If you don't have a particular plan, or you have 4 or more starting options in your mind, then bidding for 1st turn may not be all that important.

At Christmas, I got to play with some people, one of whom had played AoS quite a bit previously (though not recently, I think). On his bid in the 1st turn, he passed, saying "I can see at least four things I could do on my first turn" (It was 4-player). I'm not that good. I can see a couple of plays that seem better than the alternatives, so it's worth it to me to spend a bit to try to get it.

l'amour

Woodall

I haven't really looked at anything but for the sake of aggressive investors everywhere... 6!

egg_salad

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

rstites25

Mike will be 4th then, and owes nothing. The next person to drop out will owe 1/2 their bid. The final 2 will owe their full bid.

I think I'll pass and go third. I owe $2 (I bid $3, the rule is you round your payment up...the general rule of thumb in AoS is the game hates you, when in doubt about a rule, choose the option that is worst for you).

l'amour/Woodall will owe their full final bids, whatever those may be.

l'amour

rstites25

Turn Order/Payment Owed

Woodall:  $6
l'amour:  $4
Rex:        $2
Mike:       $0

Woodall is up to select an action.

Woodall

I'll take Locomotive (if that's what the action is called)

rstites25

Yes. That increases your engine level by 1.

Woodall

That's the one, I've always wanted a bigger engine.

l'amour

I'll have build first, please.