Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I.I. agrees to put it over the top. Flam's Influence goes up 5 points from 4 to 9; total Influence up to 21.

Third Mandatory Business: Dictator appointment. Tripoli and the Frog already agree on appointing Scipio Africanus of the Aristocrats as Dictator. His Inf goes up 7 points from 23 to 30; Total Influence up to 77. Still not enough for Aristocrat special activist voting though, even with the extra influence point to be farmed. (I.I. should tell me where, Valerius or Quinctius.)

Scipio (and thus I.I.) take over Presiding Magistrate duties.

Fourth Mandatory Business: Master of Ships/Horses. This is purely an appointment decision by I.I., but naturally will be informed by the final combat plan.

Fifth Mandatory Business: Censor elections. Currently Cato the Populist Elder. ;) He can be re-elected; other valid candidates (in Rome, prior Consul, and not already a major Office other than Master of Horse) are Junius (Populist); Quinctius (Aristocrat); Aelius and Manlius (Militarists); Fulvius (Plutocrats); plus Aemilius Paullus, and Furius (Conservatives).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Erax

Flaminius grants a priesthood to Plautius.

JasonPratt

Heh, I figured that would happen immediately, but I didn't have instructions so I didn't just do it.

Plautius +1 influence from 12 to 13; faction total to 22.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

IncompetentIdiot

Scipio will take Manlius as his Magister Equitum (there's militarily no reason not to choose the senator with the highest MIL, right?). Extra influence to Quinctius.

Did we come to a consensus as to whom we will elect as Censor and how we plan to attack the Punic War? I'm still in favour of something similar to the arrangement Erax proposed previously:

Quote from: Erax on February 28, 2019, 05:35:50 PM
My proposal is definitely for option 2, board the legions on the fleets and send everything under Scipio, who voids the war's D/S results for the naval battle and the land battle. We should have enough surplus fleets that we can lose a few without taking any legion losses before they even land.

Regarding Consuls, I suggest:

Scipio for Dictator.
A Militarist MoH, either Julius or Manlius.
A Plutocrat Rome Consul.
A Populist Field Consul.
A Conservative Censor (who agrees not to prosecute)
And Pontifex back to the Progressives.

That way every faction gets something.

JasonPratt

Yep, militarily no reason not to choose the senator with the highest Mil. (Politically it might be another story!

Scipio picks Manlius as Magister; Inf up 3 from 31 to 34; total Militarist Inf up 3 to 92. (Quinctius for the extra Aristo influence point, up 1 to 23; total to 78.)

Note that I accidentally gave Julius' Consul Influence to the Militarist votes instead of to total Influence! This has been fixed now.  O:-) Vote total is back to 20, total influence properly up to 92.

No one really had a consensus about the Censor election, but no one ever signed a Contract either -- including promising no prosecutions this Turn!

Tripoli

While there was no agreement to not prosecute, we all need to be hanging together right now.  After all, March 15 is almost a week away  >:D  Seriously, stopping Hannibal and the Carthaginians is going to be an "all hands on deck" evolution.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Not to distract from the Censor consideration, but y'all should also be planning how much to spend on Raising units.

Erax

The conservatives and the populists have nothing so far. I don't have my notes here, who are their prior consuls?

Tripoli

IMHO, we need to maximize our chance of winning the naval war.  We cant do anything until the Carthaginian navy is sunk.  We have enough legions (I believe we currently have 17, four of whom are veteran-is that correct?) to be able to beat the Carthaginizns.  What we need are fleets. (I can do an analysis later tonight, after 8 PM CST of the combat odds)

Erax

Quote from: Erax on February 26, 2019, 07:56:58 PM
The good news is, we don't have any other wars to deal with. We are at 12 fleets, 17 legions.

I suggest we go all out, raise 10 fleets. Then we appoint Scipio Dictator with a high-mil MoH and send him with everything vs. the First Punic War.

Naval combat: 22 - 13 - 2 (omens) = +7 plus whatever MIL we can summon.

Land combat: 17 + 5 (vets) - 13 - 2 = +7 plus MIL too.

Having 5 more fleets than legions should give us a buffer to avoid losing legions in the naval battle.

Oh, and appoint a Plutocrat Consul so we don't go bankrupt from some random event next turn.

This was my proposal from a while back, it gives equal odds for the sea and land battles.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on March 10, 2019, 05:09:08 AM
The conservatives and the populists have nothing so far. I don't have my notes here, who are their prior consuls?

Currently Cato the Populist Elder is Censor. He can be re-elected; other valid candidates (in Rome, prior Consul, and not already a major Office other than Master of Horse) are Junius (Populist); Quinctius (Aristocrat); Aelius and Manlius (Militarists, Manny being the MoH); Fulvius (Plutocrats); plus Aemilius Paullus (Dictator last Turn), and Furius (Conservatives).

So, on the theory that the Censor should come from the Conservatives or the Populists, I've bolded their valid senators.

IncompetentIdiot

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 10, 2019, 09:49:04 AM
Quote from: Erax on March 10, 2019, 05:09:08 AM

Currently Cato the Populist Elder is Censor. He can be re-elected; other valid candidates (in Rome, prior Consul, and not already a major Office other than Master of Horse) are Junius (Populist); Quinctius (Aristocrat); Aelius and Manlius (Militarists, Manny being the MoH); Fulvius (Plutocrats); plus Aemilius Paullus (Dictator last Turn), and Furius (Conservatives).

So, on the theory that the Censor should come from the Conservatives or the Populists, I've bolded their valid senators.

Okay, seeing as the Populists held the office last turn, I'll nominate Furius on the condition that he does not prosecute.

Tripoli

Quote from: Erax on March 10, 2019, 09:16:27 AM
Quote from: Erax on February 26, 2019, 07:56:58 PM
The good news is, we don't have any other wars to deal with. We are at 12 fleets, 17 legions.

I suggest we go all out, raise 10 fleets. Then we appoint Scipio Dictator with a high-mil MoH and send him with everything vs. the First Punic War.

Naval combat: 22 - 13 - 2 (omens) = +7 plus whatever MIL we can summon.

Land combat: 17 + 5 (vets) - 13 - 2 = +7 plus MIL too.

Having 5 more fleets than legions should give us a buffer to avoid losing legions in the naval battle.

Oh, and appoint a Plutocrat Consul so we don't go bankrupt from some random event next turn.

This was my proposal from a while back, it gives equal odds for the sea and land battles.

Assuming we use this, and Scipo and Manlius as Dictator and MoH we get the following:
Naval: (22 (Roman Naval) + 5 (Scipo mil) + 9 (Manlius mil)- 2 (omens))- (( 10(Carthiginan Naval)-3 (Hamilcar)) = +21= Automatic victory with no losses, EXCEPT a disaster on a roll of 8, or a stalemate on a roll of  12 due to Hamilcar's abilities, which Scipo can not negate (Rule 1.10.31 and 1.07.343).   This means there is an inherent 9.72% chance of a disaster, and a 11.57% chance of a standoff in the naval engagement.   

Jason-Did I miss anything in my calculations?

JasonPratt

Those calcs seem valid.

Don't forget, there's a Censor vote on the table! -- AzTank votes FOR, by the way. That's 12 + I.I.'s 14 = net +26 so far.