Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis > Wargaming

War game prices are outrageous!

<< < (3/4) > >>

ArizonaTank:

--- Quote from: MengJiao on September 02, 2021, 01:57:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: W8taminute on September 01, 2021, 01:15:58 PM ---Last week whilst on vacation I visited "The Compleat Strategist" an old school wargame hobby shop in the greater Philadelphia area.  They had several games on the shelves that I was prepared to buy on the spot until I flipped over the box to look at the price tag.  I was stunned. 

A game like "Empire of the Sun" which retailed at about $80 back in 2019 at this shop now sells for $110?  Has the price of store bought wargames increased that much in your neck of the woods? 

I can buy 2 or more computer games for that much money!  I check the price of GMTs games directly on their website and noticed that games have gotten more pricey there too.

--- End quote ---

I tend to buy on ebay and get used and/or sat-upon games.  It also helps like unpopular games from a few years ago at ebay auctions...the semi-old ones nobody likes can be pretty cheap.

--- End quote ---

There are some good Facebook groups where games are sold at some very good prices. CONSIM Market Place comes to mind. Prices around $25 are common.

demjansk1942:
I was checking out the States of Siege games article recently on bgg.  Some people are asking $ 170+ for a $15 game, yes some of these game prices are crazy

solops:
It's the supply chain

ArizonaTank:

--- Quote from: demjansk1942 on December 01, 2021, 03:09:19 AM ---I was checking out the States of Siege games article recently on bgg.  Some people are asking $ 170+ for a $15 game, yes some of these game prices are crazy

--- End quote ---

I think in the case of States of Siege, it is just simple supply and demand. The games are good, popular and out of print. Probably not that many copies were even printed.

Good news...looks like reprints for several of the States of Siege games are in the works...

The only place I know to find a good $15 game anymore are listings of some old AH titles on ebay. A popular game from AH would sell 50,000 copies in the 70s...so there are still plenty of them out there. Some AH games go for much more of course (The Longest Day, and Advanced Third Reich to name a few), but these are mostly games from the 80s when AH was not printing as many copies.

jamus34:
Iíve never been there, but yeah I imagine the logistics challenges are the primary reason for the cost increases.

My go to game shop was The Games Keep near King of Prussia, PA. More a general game store than wargaming but Karlís got a whole back wall dedicated to wargames.

That said I miss being a part of a gaming group. My old one broke up about 6 months prior to COVID as the primary host moved and with Covid nobody meets in person anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version