Campaign Series Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 15, 2021, 05:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

I will say the cries of German Sanitater as I wound the Viet Cong brings back a rush of nostalgia for when I sunk countless hours into Talonsoft Eastern Front game.
That being said it does jolt you a bit out of the immersive jungle combat with Fortunate son blaring in the background feel
Perhaps French Aux-San would work better?  At least it would reinforce the French colonial aspect.

Jason Petho

You can stop the video from playing by moving the "novideo.txt" file from the Videos folder to the main folder.

You can stop the music from playing by moving the "nomusic.txt" file from the Sounds folder to the main folder.

You can also turn off the background music or other sounds if you wish under the Options - Sounds menu.
Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985 : v3.00 coming 2024

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 : v1.30 released April 26, 2023

Campaign Series Cold War 1948-1985 : v1.00 coming 202?

Crossroads

Here's an ages old dev diary I did about modding music files in Campaign Series games. So with your favourite tunes in hand, convert them to ogg format, and load into the game!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

ArizonaTank

While I want the devs to keep up the good work...hopefully somebody is starting work on a new engine.

It would be a bummer if we go into the middle of the 21st century with a 20th century game engine. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

nelmsm

Picked it up.  Not sure why as I probably won't get much chance to play it for awhile but I have been looking forward to it for a long while.

Jason Petho

Thank you so much for your support, it is truly appreciated!
Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985 : v3.00 coming 2024

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 : v1.30 released April 26, 2023

Campaign Series Cold War 1948-1985 : v1.00 coming 202?

Crossroads

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 20, 2022, 06:12:01 PM
While I want the devs to keep up the good work...hopefully somebody is starting work on a new engine.

It would be a bummer if we go into the middle of the 21st century with a 20th century game engine.
Cheers @Arizona Tank, do you mean the presentation layer of the game? If I may rephrase this a bit:

What we did with CS Middle East is we took our time bringing the Game ("rules") engine from World War 2 to Modern Wars (up to 1985) level. New weapons systems, new capabilities, etc. This work with Game engine (as I defined it here) continued with CS Vietnam, in particular with how different the Vietnam battleground was with vasts Jungles. Concealment, tactics, it took a while.

Then, the Lua based Event Engine was upgraded to what it is now, with over 800 function apis each scenario can call as it is being played. That took a good time to implement as well.

Now, with Game and Event engines in good shape, yes, we have plans for upgrading our Graphics engine as well, there's no date on that yet though.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

MikeGER

Hint for Grogs with old eyes

to (re)familiarise myself with CS I had played some CS Middle East the last days before the release.
now when I start Vietnam the unit window seemed to be smaller, readable, but out of my comfort zone.
(i like to trade in some sharpness for size)

I use a general windows setting of 125%, but Vietnam doesn't scale up.

the solution is find the Vietnam.exe and in its application setting tick-on High DPI scaling override and change it to "System"

Now where I have my usual look and feel I can start diggin into it  :) 

a screenshot playing with 125%    ...it look sharper on my screen then processed by the image hoster

Crossroads

Quote from: MikeGER on January 21, 2022, 06:45:02 AM
I use a general windows setting of 125%, but Vietnam doesn't scale up.

the solution is find the Vietnam.exe and in its application setting tick-on High DPI scaling override and change it to "System"
Oh, excellent, thanks for the tip!

Edit: this here, right?

Grim.Reaper

The size of the text is my biggest issue right now, my old eyes are struggling on 4K monitor.  I know I can change scaling and screen resolution, but that is a pain to change before and after playing a game.  I tried the dpi settings and really didn't make any difference for me.  I also tried a third party auto scale program that I have used with other games that has this issue, but this game doesn't work with it for some reason.

Going to continue try playing it, but if there is ever the ability to scale the font within the game, that would be my number one request:} Also at times the game can feel a little sluggish loading and such, but I can be more patient with that stuff.

Crossroads

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 21, 2022, 07:14:58 AM
The size of the text is my biggest issue right now, my old eyes are struggling on 4K monitor.  I know I can change scaling and screen resolution, but that is a pain to change before and after playing a game.  I tried the dpi settings and really didn't make any difference for me.  I also tried a third party auto scale program that I have used with other games that has this issue, but this game doesn't work with it for some reason.

Going to continue try playing it, but if there is ever the ability to scale the font within the game, that would be my number one request:} Also at times the game can feel a little sluggish loading and such, but I can be more patient with that stuff.
Duly noted.

For now, Desktop scaling (with the possible DPI overrides) would be how the font size (and everything else, of course) appears larger on hi res monitors.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Crossroads on January 21, 2022, 07:27:06 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 21, 2022, 07:14:58 AM

Duly noted.

For now, Desktop scaling (with the possible DPI overrides) would be how the font size (and everything else, of course) appears larger on hi res monitors.

Right, but having to change it to play one game, just extra steps that when I am lazy, I just move on:)

Another potential future option instead of auto scale fonts, would be if the game had an in-game setting to set the resolution/scaling.  That way the game would handle it versus being manual.  That is what my third party program did, basically changed the resolution automatically when starting the game and then auto reverted back to previous settings upon exit.  If that other program would work with this, then I would be all set.  Not sure what is different about this game where it doesn't work as it has worked with all my other older games.  But that is ok, I like the gameplay, just need to figure out how to make it work for me.

Crossroads

Those are valid issues you are pointing out. From dev team's point of view, or at least from my point of view, I find it a bit strange Microsoft keeps punting the ball at us developers for such basic OS level issues like font scaling for one. Font scaling option in Windows settings has remained a bit of a mystery for me as where it works and where not. I see no effect say in Microsoft Office apps? What?

Or scaling in general. I am on Windows 11 now and for instance for the first time I took advantage of multiple desktops, I have one for regular use what ever that is, another for gaming, and a third desktop for work, with all the hours I am working remotely nowadays.

Why would multiple desktops then solve the issues you are observing. With 4K monitors now in mainstream, 8K monitors around the corner who knows, why aren't such simple things such as scaling per app solved better. Why can't I launch Campaign Series at 125% scaling?

Instead, I need to set the Desktop scaling in general to that, as you said as well. And when I do that, it is not only my gaming desktop that scales, but my home and work desktops too.

We are diligently keeping up with latest version of Visual Studio, all good, that's what we are supposed to do. And all said, Desktop scaling works quite nicely in itself. But it has done so for a few years, now. One'd expect it to become much more versatile and dynamic, instead of the blunt tool it currently is.

MikeGER

Quote from: Crossroads on January 21, 2022, 07:01:30 AM
Edit: this here, right?

yes  :)

i have another personal comfy improvment question:

Is there a file somewhere that i can edit (with a text editor) to change a few hotkey bindings?

instead of the arrow keys i would like to use WASD and so had to change some bindings

Crossroads

Quote from: MikeGER on January 21, 2022, 11:29:40 AM

i have another personal comfy improvment question:

Is there a file somewhere that i can edit (with a text editor) to change a few hotkey bindings?

instead of the arrow keys i would like to use WASD and so had to change some bindings
Sorry, no. They are what they are.