Wing Commander Saga

Started by Shelldrake, February 12, 2012, 07:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

This fan-made space sim based on the Wing Commander universe uses a modified Freespace 2 engine and is apparently near release! Check it out (Gus, I am looking at you! ;) ).

http://www.wcsaga.com/
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

republic

Man I miss the Wing Commander Universe, I'll have to check this out!

Staggerwing

Quote from: republic on February 12, 2012, 11:52:17 AM

GOG.com has some of the Wing Commander games right now including WC3!
Now if only they would pick up Strike Commander as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Shelldrake

There are some good fan-made mods/conversions available at this link if you are interested.

http://www.wcnews.com/fanprojects/index.shtml
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

How near is 'near to release'? I don't want to get all excited and then...well...wait some more.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MIGMaster

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 12, 2012, 12:39:48 PM

GOG.com has some of the Wing Commander games right now including WC3!
Now if only they would pick up Strike Commander as well.

You took the words righta outta my mouth dude ! - I would luv to a chance to fire up Strike Commander again !

Gusington

Just looked the site over and it does look very well done and very close to release. This is where I will admit to never having played any of the originals. Didn't have a PC until 1998!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2012, 03:26:09 PM
Just looked the site over and it does look very well done and very close to release. This is where I will admit to never having played any of the originals. Didn't have a PC until 1998!

<sadly shakes his head> You really missed out on something Gus. Wing Commander is primitive by today's standards but back in the day it was sheer magic!

Dean Edell

Staggerwing

Right up there with the original Lucasarts 'Tie Fighter'.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

jomni

They also have a WWII pacific game in the wing commander format.

Gusington

I uh...never played Tie Fighter either. I KNOW!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: jomni on February 12, 2012, 07:53:00 PM
They also have a WWII pacific game in the wing commander format.

You're not talking about 'Pacific Strike' are you? I seam to recall that it turned out to be a bit on the buggy side. 'Pacific Air War'
came out at the same time and, other than the resolution being too low, was supposed to be a better game. It also integrated
with 'Task Force 1942'.

jomni

Yeah Pacific Strike but never did play it.

MIGMaster

Man, I spent hours and hours playing TIE Fighter and all the mission packs. Between TIE fighter and Tornado my wife was ready to kill me !!!!

Shelldrake

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 13, 2012, 12:06:07 PM
Man, I spent hours and hours playing TIE Fighter and all the mission packs. Between TIE fighter and Tornado my wife was ready to kill me !!!!

LOL I think that my wife feels that way about my World of Tanks addiction!

Dean Edell