The Road to Abu Rodeis (About October 10, 1973)

Started by MengJiao, August 04, 2022, 12:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Historically, sometime around October 10, after Gavish pulled everything well back from the canal, the Egyptians sent a column probing down the eastern shore of the Gulf of Suez.  Historically,
a squadron of obsolescent re-engined Super-Mysteries did enough damage to the Egyptian column to convince them to get back under their SAM umbrella.  With a little air support by each side, the battle might have been less one-sided:

W8taminute

Interesting.  I have an interest in this time period and location.  Is this a new series or just a one off demo of the game?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on August 04, 2022, 02:57:11 PM
Interesting.  I have an interest in this time period and location.  Is this a new series or just a one off demo of the game?

It's a pretty old game based on Downtown -- Elusive Victory from 2009.  The scenario is one I derived from A. Rabinovich's The Yom Kippur War
Recently, wondered about the free-wheeling events in the Gulf of Suez during the war: commando raids, helicopter raids, boat raids, stories
about Leonard Cohen's visit during the war from people who were radar girls at Sharm-el-Sheikh and of course Gavish's improvised defenses.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 04, 2022, 12:27:30 PM

Historically, sometime around October 10, after Gavish pulled everything well back from the canal, the Egyptians sent a column probing down the eastern shore of the Gulf of Suez.  Historically,
a squadron of obsolescent re-engined Super-Mysteries did enough damage to the Egyptian column to convince them to get back under their SAM umbrella.  With a little air support by each side, the battle might have been less one-sided:

Day one (the 9th maybe?), went okay.  Nobody rolled out to fight, but day two was a mess: Early on, Egyptian communications broke down and the MiG 19s had some equipment failures while some F4s did some self-protective jamming, but didn't get the MiG-19s.  Near sunset, the Super-Mysteres came up the coast and then stayed on the deck coming in from the southwest over the front of the Egyptian column.  They got two (unconfirmed) hit-levels (pretty historical -- but wait, the Egyptians are going to get some support at sunrise unlike the real world of Oct 11) and haven't been spotted by the SAM-2 radars (which are at the edge of their detection range):