What Are You Doing to Cope With Depressing News in 2020?

Started by airboy, July 26, 2020, 02:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 28, 2020, 08:59:57 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2020, 08:53:47 AM
Good luck Yskonyn. I contacted JH with a PM myself.

Speaking of my recommendations, I went to two gun shops over the weekend and was shocked by what I saw. The shelves are still virtually bare. There are no Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 pump-action type shotguns to be found anywhere. Ammo is also in extremely short supply. I heard shortages are expected to continue through November. It literally looked like the toilet paper aisles a few weeks ago.

I love the irony that there are so many anti-gun NY liberals scrambling to get their hands on a firearm now.

Gus, have you been to any gun shops in your area? What does the supply situation look like?

I have found this out as well in my search for some home defense.  Those 2 shotguns were at the top of my list...may have to expand my list :-\.   Also just read that Remington filed (again) for bankruptcy.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 28, 2020, 10:31:37 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 28, 2020, 10:14:30 AM
Could you post a picture of your collection JH? If you rather not I understand. Just curious.

Collection of what? Firearms? That would take up way too much bandwidth and might crash the forum. Sorry.  :crazy2:

Lol. We don't want that, no. 😅
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

That's crazy that Remington filed for bankruptcy...if a weapon manufacturer can't make it in this new age we are truly doomed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2020, 10:47:40 AM
JH does that site sell ammo? I don't want to resort to using the weapon like a baseball bat...already got one of those.

Probably, but there are better sources for online sales. Just be careful, many will not ship bulk ammo directly to your door in light of some confusion over the provisions in the NY SAFE Act. However, there is a list of online retailers who will send direct, rather than going through an FFL. Let me know if you want that list.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2020, 11:51:40 AM
That's crazy that Remington filed for bankruptcy...if a weapon manufacturer can't make it in this new age we are truly doomed.

They have been hit hard by litigation, but the reality is they just haven't adapted to the demands of gun owners in this day and age and they have been mismanaged. I think it would have been ironic if Remington had been sold to the Navajo Nation, as they were in talks.

Regardless, there are plenty of other manufacturers in the market providing better products. If Remington dies, it dies...something else will take its place.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Yep - I've been following the current Remington bankruptcy story in the Wall St. Journal.  The Navahos buying them would have had a lot of irony.

I had (and sold) a Remington 1100.  It was an inferior semi-auto compared to my Benelli's.  The 1100 was reliable.  A spring broke on the ejection mechanism after probably 20,000 rounds.  Never had a lick of trouble before that - and the gunsmith said it was an easy repair.

I'd always thought about buying a pump action, but never did since the semi-auto technology today is so reliable and I would have to learn to shoot with a totally different type of sight picture after the first shot.

Anguille

What depressing news? So far it's been one of my best years....never spent so much time with my kids, watching movies, playing great games and my favorite artist is releasing a new cd this fall. Stop watching the news and reading newspapers...life's much better.

SirAndrewD

It's funny, I was discussing my new hobby of restoring my Kenner Star Wars figures, of which I really only have a tiny portion of my original lot surviving, around 30 display quality. 

While looking for original accessories in my boxes of ancient things, I found a TON of GI Joes.  Some the original first run straight armed versions.   I also found a lot of G1 and G2 Transformers complete with weapons and accessories. 

Sadly limited Star Wars, but yeah, I spent the afternoon between work sorting through it.  My wife was suitably impressed and amused.  Looks like I've got a lot of material to enhance my man cave for the post pandemic.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 28, 2020, 09:36:12 PM
It's funny, I was discussing my new hobby of restoring my Kenner Star Wars figures, of which I really only have a tiny portion of my original lot surviving, around 30 display quality. 

While looking for original accessories in my boxes of ancient things, I found a TON of GI Joes.  Some the original first run straight armed versions.   I also found a lot of G1 and G2 Transformers complete with weapons and accessories. 

Sadly limited Star Wars, but yeah, I spent the afternoon between work sorting through it.  My wife was suitably impressed and amused.  Looks like I've got a lot of material to enhance my man cave for the post pandemic.

Funny you mention this. My mom just sold her house and moved and when she was cleaning her stuff out, she came across a big bag with all my old favorite action figures. She's going to ship it to me. Can't wait to see what is in there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 28, 2020, 10:45:47 PM

Funny you mention this. My mom just sold her house and moved and when she was cleaning her stuff out, she came across a big bag with all my old favorite action figures. She's going to ship it to me. Can't wait to see what is in there.

Awesome.   It is fun going down the nostalgia road and restoring some of those things.  I really wish when I was a kid my parents recognized the future value and hadn't convinced me to give so much away to charity when I was in my early teens. 

I would never want to sell any of the stuff I have, but it does have monetary and nostalgic value.  It's a good addition to a display case.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

em2nought

Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2020, 11:51:40 AM
Sandy Hook
Stolen elections have consequences.