[Dominions 6] Three Grogskateers (OPEN!)

Started by al_infierno, April 27, 2024, 03:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Last game has slowed down a bit, and it's just three of us left, so I figured we could go ahead and open up a new one for anybody waiting to get in.

Era: Late Age

Game name: Groggies 3

Password: Same as last time (or ask for a PM if you're new)

Deadline: Whenever we feel like it

Drop a line in this thread and claim a nation if you wanna drop in the deep end. Lobby is already created, all you have to do is go to Network > Enter Game Lobby and find Groggies 3.

Player - Nation:

1. al_infierno - Atlantis
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

Interestingly Late Age Pyrene just got added to the game in a new patch, so someone has the chance to pull a pro gamer move and pick a faction nobody knows anything about.

I'm tentatively picking C'tis.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

Unless/until Ctis get patched, anybody who plays in LA with them needs to agree to just immediately go attack Ctis unconditionally.  Before turn 12, probably before turn 10.

Turn 1 = 0
Turn 2 = 0
Turn 3 = 1
Turn 4 = 4
Turn 5 = 8
Turn 6 = 14
Turn 7 = 21
Turn 8 = 30
Turn 9 = 40
Turn 10 = 52
Turn 11 = 65
Turn 12 = 80
Turn 13 = 96
Turn 14 = 114
Turn 15 = 133
Turn 16 = 154
Turn 17 = 176
Turn 18 = 200
Turn 19 = 225
Turn 20 = 252
Turn 24 = 374

That's their potential schedule of sacred production, and it continues to grow non-linearly.  They get that even if they do literally nothing but sit in cap.  Tomb wyrms are not some soft sacred, depending on bless they can be harder to deal with than knights of the chalice in current game.

To put it in perspective: LA Ctis on turn 30 with 9 provinces will be much, much stronger than I was as Mekone after conquering both Ulm and Ubar, which happened later.  Can't blood rain them off, can't rigor them, and they have 15 attack.  With some blesses, they present a legitimately unwinnable scenario in a 1v1 before turn 15.

Current LA Ctis is stronger in unit scaling than Sceleria and Lemuria were at their peak.  In our previous LA game, I ran Siekster's Lemuria down ASAP because not doing so meant nobody else would win.  Against LA Ctis, I'm not confident I could even do that.

al_infierno

- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

I don't want to sound mean, but at the same time it's such an imbalance factor that I don't see how the game could go otherwise.  You don't just have > 400 sacreds on turn 25, you're making just under 80/turn then too.

Marignon in our game right now couldn't do that even with 0 upkeep.  It would take basically the whole world (BL + Mari combined) to produce 80 sacreds per turn using our anyfort sacreds, which aren't actually better than tomb wyrms, just to match what Ctis can do by mid turn 20s.  We're on turn 68.

By turn 50, LA Ctis, without expanding, can produce ~150 sacreds per turn.  Closing on 200/turn by turn 68.  They do not cost upkeep.

Compare this to MA Ermor lictor scaling and Ermor is a complete trash can.  Other undead nations can reanimate a bunch, but they aren't high hp sacred units, but rather longdead.

Yes, Ctis has to sacrifice cap mage research to get it.  No, that isn't a meaningful price when you can make 4 nation's worth of hell blessed sacreds just by existing until turn 25-30.  It's not like they're popkill either; they can still recruit regular units and forts on top of this.