MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries announced

Started by steve58, December 04, 2016, 06:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on November 28, 2019, 12:20:42 AM

I saw a youtube video last night  of a guy playing it and saying it was downloadable now. Maybe he was wrong but he was playing it.

I think they might be allowing reviewer access.  Doesn't seem to be available to standard preorders from my own experience and the forums. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2019, 10:58:18 PM
When they decided to go Epic exclusive, i requested a refund.
I was not aware of that.  My interest in this just dropped even further (and it wasn't high to begin with, due to my low opinion of MWO). 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Destraex

Here is the video, he says:
"The Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries Beta dropped today"
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

thought i read somewhere only original backers received the beta/demo so thinking pre orders didn't qualify for that

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 28, 2019, 06:53:53 AM
thought i read somewhere only original backers received the beta/demo so thinking pre orders didn't qualify for that

This. Only people who backed in the beginning have "early access". If you can really even call it that. The game releases on 12/10.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I am super interested since I was less than fanatical about Battletech but the Epic news tarnished it a bit for me.

I'm going to guess that if you buy directly from the developer there may be a client, though...so Epic isn't 100% necessary?

I hope.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

^Epic has exclusivity for at least a year.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

I did end up jumping in, cause the fact of a new single player Mechwarrior is just something I am super stoked about.
My impressions will come a few days after release.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I'm absolutely in day one. 

I've been using the Epic store with Outer Worlds and have no complaints beyond having yet another launcher. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Pushed through my workday so I could start some afternoon delight with this one today. 

First impressions are mixed due to technical issues.   I found my Rudder Pedals were causing the game to fail to launch which was real disappointment since they're on the list of supporter peripherals.  My X-52 pro worked well from the start though, no issues with mapping or detection.  I'm reading online that instant detection for HOTAS is not a universal thing though.  Lots of people saying they have no support out of the box. 

Took a Marauder out for instant action and was very pleased with the heft and feel of the mech.  Looked great and immersive on my ultrawide and my HOTAS worked perfectly.  Only issue, the Joystick is just too imprecise to hit things with any accuracy.  I switched to HOMAS using the throttle to steer and mouse for targeting and it was much easier.   

Graphics are great, mech selection is amazing and so far so good, I just wish my pedals weren't causing a fatal crash.  I may try to work on the stick a bit more to try to use it to target. 

Oh, and no TrackIR support that I can see.  That's another point against.  It'd be really useful. 

JasonPratt

There's a program on Steam I haven't used yet, which is supposed to emulate trackIR pretty well with a standard webcam by tracking your facial structure recognition.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Played through the first mission and a bit after. 

Love the feel of the Mechs.  It feels better than MWO by a lot.  Very weighty and the weapons feel cool.  First time I've felt like even being behind firing a PPC is a little scary. 

There's a lot more freedom of walking around on foot than I expected.  You can walk around your base at first and dropship after.  It really gives a sense of scale to actually stand next to the Mech you're about to pilot. 

Story is nothing to write home about so far.  Typical Battletech, overused Merc Story recycle #5.   Sudden betrayal by rival Mercs, you have to take command of a company in disarray, got to find out who wants you dead and get revenge.   Same old Same old, you've played the story in multiple Battletech games and read it in multiple books.  It also doesn't help the voice acting is a touch flat. 

Still, the story is secondary.  This is about taking missions, making money and playing Pokemon "Gotta Salvage them All" with giant robots.  I'm going to get into that portion later tonight.