Main Menu

Diablo 3

Started by Bison, May 15, 2012, 01:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2012, 09:52:44 AM
^How the hell do you get 8 hours to play in one day??

Well I was laid up in my lazy boy unable to move for 5 hours in the afternoon.  Then I played a for a few hours after the family went to bed.  This is not a usual night by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm lucky if I can squeek in an hour or two most nights.

Gusington

^That's better. How dare you try to have more fun than me in one day!

Anyone got a link to Path of Exile?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on May 16, 2012, 09:55:26 AM
My initial impressions are unhappy.

I couldn't log in at all last night. Today I finally got past the server problem only to find I got a new error, 315300.

Turns out that one is caused by trying to log into the game and *tabbing* from login to password. The fix? Don't tab.

Oh, and create a new Admin account on your PC to play with since you won't be able to use your normal account to play Diablo III.

I used my battlenet account no issue.  What's an admin account?

I guess I don't tab, but yeah that's pretty weird.

Nefaro

I wish there was a video option or slider for adjusting the post-processing effect. 

It makes everything look hazy and slightly out of focus at times.  :-[

JasonPratt

right now it just looks like yet another Bioware D&D hacknslash.

Strictly speaking, Bioware took the basic gameplay and design of Diablo, and kind-of ported real D&D rules into it with Balder's Gate (and related material). The games play only superficially similar.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tpek

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 16, 2012, 02:38:12 PM
right now it just looks like yet another Bioware D&D hacknslash.

Strictly speaking, Bioware took the basic gameplay and design of Diablo, and kind-of ported real D&D rules into it with Balder's Gate (and related material). The games play only superficially similar.

No offense but hardly correct.
BG is not really an Action-RPG like Diablo.
Diablo was innovative in its time due to its Loot system (randomized items with random qualities and abilities), the interface and gameplay, and the fact it played kinda like a single player MMO (levels would reset, nothing but endless dungeons). These are things are fortunately are not there in BG.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: UlrichVonBek on May 16, 2012, 01:32:33 PM
A avast majority aren't happy and a few are fine with it. Personally I think not having an offline single player mode, where you aren't allowed to use said character online should have been part of the game. Having to be logged on to a server if your a single player gamer is just wrong. I'm waiting on Path of Exile. At least I don't have to pay out $60 to play it and I after watching PoE trailer it seems abit slower gameplay which for me is a big plus. D3 looks like it goes 100mph and I couldn't really appreciate it watching the trailers due to it's speedy animations.

This seems like uninformed negativity. Path of Exile is also an Online-only ARPG, so I fail to see how that is more palatable than Blizzard's always-online Battle.net. While it isn't the best idea, there are major benefits, such as being able to immediately jump into a co-op game with a friend (remarkably easy). The server problems were largely due to release day influx and, given that Blizzard has far more experience with dealing in the millions of subscribers than the Path of Exile people, I put my faith in Blizzard any day.

As to game speed, I suppose that is a personal choice. Seems a bit of an odd criticism for an Action RPG, which is supposed to be fast-paced, but whatever.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

Is uninformed negativity the first step towards nerd rage?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2012, 04:06:57 PM

The latency in game right now is down right horrid.  +400 ping and it jumps up to +1200.  It's unplayable.  I've got confidence that this will get sorted but good grief this pretty embarrasing for a company that makes it's money off of an MMO.  I've also been experiencing a slo-mo effect today. 
I  t  s      l  i   k  e      m    y       c  h  a   r   a    c    t    e    r         w   a     n    t    s        t    o            m    o     v       e          f   a     s    t        b    u    t    j  u     s       t         c   a    n    n    o    t          d  o        s    o    .

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the server nonsense.  They were obviously not prepared for release day.   I guess they didn't have enough time to develop the game and plan for its release.

Bison

I guess if you played in a group and did not clear the areas, but went straight from main quest to main quest on normal maybe you can I don't know.  I'm sure they enjoyed the story line alot.

jomni

Looks like they avoided the grind or just click too fast. :p

Bison

Well I'm soloing on normal with relative ease.  My greatest struggle is not dying due to the horrid latency issues today.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on May 16, 2012, 05:18:16 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2012, 04:06:57 PM

The latency in game right now is down right horrid.  +400 ping and it jumps up to +1200.  It's unplayable.  I've got confidence that this will get sorted but good grief this pretty embarrasing for a company that makes it's money off of an MMO.  I've also been experiencing a slo-mo effect today. 
I  t  s      l  i   k  e      m    y       c  h  a   r   a    c    t    e    r         w   a     n    t    s        t    o            m    o     v       e          f   a     s    t        b    u    t    j  u     s       t         c   a    n    n    o    t          d  o        s    o    .

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the server nonsense.  They were obviously not prepared for release day.   I guess they didn't have enough time to develop the game and plan for its release.

I've been playing a lot the last few hours and had no latency.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

It's gotten much better this evening.  This afternoon was truly awful.  I would spike to 1500 ping.  Now that being said I'm not surprised.  It's pretty much par for the course with online games during the first days following release.