Missing Titanic tourist submersible

Started by al_infierno, June 19, 2023, 10:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: Tripoli on June 22, 2023, 02:44:15 PMWreckage belonging to the missing sub confirmed found 1600 feet from the Titanic shipwreck.   USCG is saying the sub sank due to an implosion.  All hands lost.  At least it would have be quick.  RIP.
https://justthenews.com/events/coast-guard-confirms-titanic-sub-marine-passenger-crew-dead

RIP.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Well, the life of an adventurer was never said to be one without risk. 

In the words of the Kurgan "It's better to burn out than fade away".

RIP.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Damn. RIP. Too horrific for my landlubber brain to contemplate.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Groggy

I feel for the kid. He was legitimately terrified to get on the death sub and felt pressured from his father who was obsessed with the titanic. That's some bleak shit.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Groggy on June 22, 2023, 10:16:43 PMI feel for the kid. He was legitimately terrified to get on the death sub and felt pressured from his father who was obsessed with the titanic. That's some bleak shit.

Yeah, that was the worst part.  Grim. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

Quote from: Groggy on June 22, 2023, 10:16:43 PMI feel for the kid. He was legitimately terrified to get on the death sub and felt pressured from his father who was obsessed with the titanic. That's some bleak shit.

Saw that too, apparently the trip was a Father's Day promise.   :undecided:  Really sad.  The others at least seemed to live a full life beforehand.

James Cameron talked about the incident in an interview (being an experienced and respected member of the deep sea exploration community) and he said that apparently the sub had utilized its emergency floatation devices prior to implosion, which seems to evidence that they were aware of an emergency and attempt to avert it :undecided:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

if it aint Woods Hole or USN Im not getting in a sub that isnt tied to a pier.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!

Poor kid; deserved better.

So, now comes the legislature for "adventure tourism," (as I'm calling it) if accidents in the past have shown us anything.  What shape(s) do we see the legislature coming as?

GDS_Starfury

personally I dont think that civilians should be allowed access to sites like these.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

JasonPratt

Leaving aside any related political dispute -- there's an interesting security dispute about the US government not revealing we heard the implosion and quickly figuring out what it was (no doubt due to sonalysis and positional triangulation), yet leaving people strung along for several days hoping that there might be a rescue, which included several organizations mobilizing at cost to hustle out there.

Would revealing what we already knew, really have been too much of a security breach about our capabilities? If so, why eventually reveal how and when we already knew? Seems like it should be pretty standard capability well-known by now, anyway.  :huh:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

JasonPratt

Thanks, I like Brynn's military analyses.

Triangulation I accounted for, though not sound propagation and distortion (e.g. due to the saline layer, too long since I played sub games) -- though again multiple detections would get horizontal and vertical bearings for generating box boundaries. How many sub-implosion signatures could be expected within that box, aside from the Titan, and also not expected to be identified by other means fairly quickly? Multiple acquisition would also reduce (at least somewhat) mistaken identity from geologic noise.

I expected the waterfall to match at least computer profiles for implosion effects, and Brynn suggests that probably did happen. Although then again, the unusual materials for the Titan could have affected standard profile recognition. Then again, bubbles (as Brynn suggests) might be detected rising (and traveling somewhat laterally).

The hustle was of course correct, even if all evidence was 'consistent with'. I get that; looking back at my post, my wording was bad for what I was intending -- I'd still be in favor of multiple groups hustling out there, just in case!

I wouldn't have thought there would be any usefully new information gleaned from a platform (largely) declassified since 1991 (and studied as much as possible by our enemies, and allies, before then), by an announcement that the Navy has checked its sensor platform logs and found detection evidence 'consistent with' the sub's implosion in the marginal vicinity box of the sub's expected location (and not going into detail how that evidence was acquired).

If I was a family member, I would have wanted to know as much of the probabilities as possible as soon as possible, and generally why I should expect x to be probably true, so long as security wasn't compromised; and I still don't see why a general announcement without methodology details (not even mentioning SOSUS as a detection platform for example), would have compromised any security. Iran might not know yet that World War I-era passive sonar applications are possible, and used by the United States (perhaps also other nations), but who cares if they finally catch up to knowledge about mid-1910s naval tech this way?

But maybe the DoD was erring on the side of caution toward any families who would rather not know the likelihoods sooner. It's horrible for everyone.  :sad:

I've read somewhere that the teen boy knew how sketchy the company's tech and construction was on the sub, and was terrified about being put in there, but had made a promise to his dad on Father's Day to go (or something like that). I hope that was only a rumor...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 27, 2023, 12:15:02 PMI've read somewhere that the teen boy knew how sketchy the company's tech and construction was on the sub, and was terrified about being put in there, but had made a promise to his dad on Father's Day to go (or something like that). I hope that was only a rumor...

Saw this in multiple reports as well.  Can't imagine how angry and devastated the mother must be.   :undecided:

- MengJiao

Staggerwing

Couldn't it also be the case that since the implosion happened hours *before* anyone from the Titan's mothership called the authorities for help, the recordings of the event were already filed away and only later retrieved after the Navy had diligently sifted through the ungodly amount of sonar data they had collected in the hours before and after the alert went out?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys