Do want a dubbed version of the Star War Backstroke of the West?

Started by JasonPratt, May 12, 2022, 03:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I've only seen glimpses of the full glory of the Chinglish bootleg dvd copy of Revenge of the Sith: i.e. a low-quality film of the film in theaters, dubbed in Chinese I think (Cantonese or Mandarin, don't know which), then produced in Malaysia with English subtitles of the Chinese dub so that English speaking audiences could... enjoy it.  :DD

Today, after being honored by Overlord Doomcock for my deep-cut fan reference of the most famous line of this production ("Do not want" for Vader's infamous "Nooooo!" toward the end -- thus expressing my lack of confidence in a Disney produced Darth Vader series at this point), I thought I'd search around Youtube for a compilation or something of Backstroke...

...and lo, someone not only reproduced the English subtitles for the film, married to a reasonably high-def copy of it, but A VOCAL TEAM ACTUALLY DUBBED THE SUBTITLES IN ENGLISH!  :o :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Someday it may be taken down, I suppose, for copyright infringement, but not since Valentine's Day 2016!

So, after more than seven years running, and with so much gloom in the world today, please allow me to present a link to the full edition of the sublime comedic special-effects masterpiece:

THE STAR WAR: BACKSTROKE OF THE WEST!

Do want. Do very much want.  :dreamer:

Edited to add: be aware that the audio track is not entirely SFW...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I think anything Star Wars would be hilarious in Chinese. Even sober.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I'm watching this in 20 minute blurbles (for want of a more appropriate term), and I have come to several preliminary conclusions:

1.) Even with the dialogue translated into Chinese and then back again into English (by people who don't really speak English, or probably the particular Chinese language being used, all that well) -- this is still miles better than most films I've seen in the past 10 years.

2.) Yoda's voice actress(?!) is creepy as all hell. ...good job!  :bd:

3.) I'm finding I appreciate the film much more than I used to, when Lucas' wooden dialogue is transmorgified into freakish and often insane near-gibberish. I don't mean I enjoy laughing at it -- well, that, too. I mean, in a total lack of irony, that I'm enjoying the film more seriously somehow! I cannot explain this yet, but it was odd enough that I wanted to come back here to report it!

Aside from some dodgy fx here and there, the film is so well done that the dialogue being reduced to... sort of a pointilistic artistic abstraction (like listening to the equivalent of Monet attempting to paint something he can only barely see)... played perfectly straight of course, as in the original film... I don't know, maybe I'm more invested because I'm actively sorting out the dialogue to piece together the underlying meaning.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

This dubbed version is solid gold!  Great find Jason.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk