RIP Tony Sirico (Paulie Walnuts in The Sopranos)

Started by al_infierno, July 08, 2022, 07:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Another big loss for mafia movies in the last few days, Tony Sirico played Paulie Walnuts in the HBO show The Sopranos.  RIP.

He was one of my favorite character actors, though I understand his mental faculties had been waning in later years.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tony-sirico-dies-age-79-famed-sopranos-actor/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

I loved this guy and his character - there is a reunion of sopranos actors on YouTube and he didn't seem well but he was such a character

And Paulie...... no one has made me laugh like he did during the interior decorator scene in sopranos

al_infierno

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 09, 2022, 02:37:14 AM
And Paulie...... no one has made me laugh like he did during the interior decorator scene in sopranos

Definitely one of the best exchanges on the show.

Tony (on the phone): "The guy was some kind of ex-commando. He killed 16 Chechen rebels single-handed. He was with the Interior Ministry."

Paulie: "What? You're breaking up."

Chrissie: "What'd he say?"

Paulie: "You won't believe this. He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator."

Chrissie: "Well his house looked like shit."

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Dammit Carl!

Hate being old enough to where the people you watched on TV and film start dropping away on a regular basis.  Godspeed Mr. Sirico.

Odd thought; with what I just said, how many more "mafia," kinda media things can be made with and by people who were there and who may have a first-hand knowledge of the subject and the times?  The mafia doesn't seem to be what it used to be (from my very, very narrow perspective, mind you) so could we be seeing the curtain coming down on a certain type of movie genre?

al_infierno

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 09, 2022, 01:48:49 PM
Hate being old enough to where the people you watched on TV and film start dropping away on a regular basis.  Godspeed Mr. Sirico.

Odd thought; with what I just said, how many more "mafia," kinda media things can be made with and by people who were there and who may have a first-hand knowledge of the subject and the times?  The mafia doesn't seem to be what it used to be (from my very, very narrow perspective, mind you) so could we be seeing the curtain coming down on a certain type of movie genre?

That's a very good point.  Most Mafia media draws from a relatively small cadre of actors who have interacted with actual mafiosos of the "golden era" of organized crime, or in the case of Tony Sirico and Tony Lips, actually are former mafiosos themselves. 

I'm certain people will continue making Mafia flicks, but much like the lukewarm Sopranos film, they'll likely feel more like pale imitations than a true-to-life Mafia films in the same way as Goodfellas and the Godfather, and other films that had influence from actual former mobsters.

- MengJiao