The Woman King - Anybody seen it yet?

Started by Destraex, October 05, 2022, 04:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Has anybody seen The Woman King yet? Seems like it could be interesting.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

If people want to talk about the movie, fine. But no politics. Personally, I don't see how that issue can be avoided on this one so it's probably better off not even discussing this film.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

As you wish. I shant mention it further.
I would however have been interested in peoples impressions of it. It's the only thing close to a military period set piece movie for some time.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on October 05, 2022, 06:45:35 AM
As you wish. I shant mention it further.
I would however have been interested in peoples impressions of it. It's the only thing close to a military period set piece movie for some time.

I don't have any objection if people want to speak about the movie. I just don't see how or why anyone could or would even want to discuss it in any way other than it's lack of historical authenticity which lends a strong likelihood that the discussion will turn political, particularly since the entire purpose behind the movie being made in the first place is political. If everyone can be big boys about it, fine. Have at it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Anguille

Haven't seen it yet but am interested.

Surprised there's a discussion about it being political, wasn't aware of it. If i have the chance to watch it while flying to Bolivia in November, i'll watch it.

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2022, 06:49:40 AM
[ I just don't see how or why anyone could or would even want to discuss it in any way other than it's lack of historical authenticity which lends a strong likelihood that the discussion will turn political,

I'm confused.  You don't understand why anyone would want to talk about a film they watched without going into touchy political issues?  I assume because some people probably liked the film despite its lack of historical authenticity.  Plenty of people love Braveheart despite having very little basis in reality.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on October 05, 2022, 09:56:38 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2022, 06:49:40 AM
[ I just don't see how or why anyone could or would even want to discuss it in any way other than it's lack of historical authenticity which lends a strong likelihood that the discussion will turn political,

I'm confused.  You don't understand why anyone would want to talk about a film they watched without going into touchy political issues?  I assume because some people probably liked the film despite its lack of historical authenticity.  Plenty of people love Braveheart despite having very little basis in reality.

You do seem to get confused a lot.

I made my position clear. You can discuss the film within the context I have stated. Accept it and talk about it or move on.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

The title threw me. Isn't a, 'Woman King' a queen?  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 05, 2022, 10:18:57 AM
The title threw me. Isn't a, 'Woman King' a queen?  ???

That was my first thought too!   ???
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Anguille

Watched some information on youtube. Will watch it as a fiction movie...i did like Highlander or Gladiator after all.

@Jarhead, i get your point.

Jarhead0331

^Thanks.

...and I just want to reiterate that I do welcome discussion about the movie, but it is unfortunately very politically charged and I just want those political issues of an inflammatory or "hot button" nature avoided here in line with our current policies.

Thanks again for understanding.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ArizonaTank

My wife wants to see it. But she is a sucker for anything about 'women warriors.'

I am somewhat conversant in South African history, but the rest of Africa is a history blind spot for me. So, I am interested in starting to learn more.

So, I can see myself spending two hours with it.

I know there is some controversy about how historical it is, or not...but it seems like at a high level the movie synchs. Anyway, it should seed some further study on the subject.

Still, we will probably wait until out on streaming.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

I looked into the history of Dahomey and its Amazons and had a few obscure references in books I have here after you mentioned the movie was controvertial. I now know why it could be a hot button topic for some but if done correctly the movie could be a great historical docuseries. I hope the "History Buffs" youtuber takes up this one on historical authenticity if it is as bad in that department as you say. I will probably watch it when it comes to streaming.