Field of Glory - Medieval Competition

Started by Boggit, January 05, 2021, 11:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: al_infierno on February 04, 2021, 06:41:01 PM
Very generous of Slitherine, but I decided to buy a copy anyways.

Looking forward to the beatdown!  It's been ages since I've played FoG2 so I'm gonna get whooped.   :knuppel2:  :buck2:
Good luck! :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Yskonyn on February 04, 2021, 04:32:22 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on February 04, 2021, 03:59:00 PM
I assume we pair off against the next name down on the list in our Division?  I'm in Division 2, so that means I'd be paired off against Bardolph.  Boggit-One question: Are these paired battles, ie, both sets of players play each side of a single battle, or is it just one battle?

You can simultaneously play everyone in your division, I'd reckon. Otherwise this comp will take a year or so. :)

@Boggit: wow that's mightly generous of Slitherine! The price for winning is then all upcoming DLC for free I presume? 😂
Seriously though, insanely generous.  :hug:
I agree that is the best way to play the competition. O0 I don't think the games themselves should take too long, especially if you can play several turns at a sitting. Very few games in my experience continue all the way to turn 23, most ending within 10-15 turns.

Yes, Paolo and the guys at Slitherine have been very kind to us. :smitten:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Bardolph

Quote from: Boggit on February 04, 2021, 11:28:10 PM
Quote from: Bardolph on February 04, 2021, 10:36:43 PM
Checking in from Div 2. I've heard from Tripoli but am still awaiting a DM with the key from Boggit I guess.
Perfectly happy to play the other Div 2 folks simultaneously if that helps things proceed.
I'm still waiting on an email from Paolo. I have put in a request for keys to facilitate those who don't have the game. As soon as I see the email from Paolo with a key for you, you can be sure it will be forwarded onto you.

Figured that was the case, no worries. Just checking in ;)

al_infierno

So, what are the final brackets?  I assume it's:

Division 1
Shelldrake
Matt3916
Sauron
Nelmsm
Paolo
Yskonyn

Division 2
Tripoli
Bardolph
al_infierno
Under_Score
Gus (TBC)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Boggit

Quote from: al_infierno on February 05, 2021, 03:08:52 AM
So, what are the final brackets?  I assume it's:

Division 1
Shelldrake
Matt3916
Sauron
Nelmsm
Paolo
Yskonyn

Division 2
Tripoli
Bardolph
al_infierno
Under_Score
Gus (TBC)
Not quite. That is for the first round. You play everyone in your Division only at this stage.

The top three from each Division then go into the semi final as one semi final Division of six, and the two highest scorers from there go onto the final. (i.e. 11 players to 6 to 2). I hope I've explained that in a meaningful way? :) If it still doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to rephrase it so we're on the same page.

Boggit

Paolo has emailed me that there is an issue that "due to some technical issues, some of the keys we sent for Field of Glory II Medieval have been revoked."

Sorry for the delay. As with all technical issues I am sure this will be resolved by Slitherine as soon as they are able. I will keep you posted as soon as I hear more.

al_infierno

General heads up, but I'd recommend not using the Pot Luck (random) feature for picking teams in tournament games unless you really know what you're doing.  The first game I started picked Lithuania versus German North/West, which I'm sure an experienced player could pull off, but their army lists looked laughably one sided.  You're probably best off picking two armies who you know will be somewhat evenly matched, like England and France.

EDIT: Having tested an AI battle as Germany against Lithuania, it's actually not nearly the pushover I imagined.  It certainly takes some tactics to make up for the lack of heavily armored knights, but they seem to have their own advantages with their selection of skirmisher type units.  If I get totally clobbered by under_score I'll probably stick with someone easier for future games :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tripoli

I'm not sure if this is the place to post it, but Matrix/Sliterine is just starting a FoGII-Medieval tournament.  Sign up here: https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Yskonyn

Thanks for the heads-up.

I am still waiting for the key that was made available for this tournament before I can start challenging you guys.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Bardolph

Anyone heard from Boggit? Doesn't look like he's logged in here since the 7th, nearly two weeks ago. Hope everything is ok.

Boggit

Quote from: Bardolph on February 20, 2021, 04:17:07 AM
Anyone heard from Boggit? Doesn't look like he's logged in here since the 7th, nearly two weeks ago. Hope everything is ok.
Don't worry I'm here! Thanks for thinking about me! :)

As you know we have had a delay with the codes. Paolo has asked me for the number of codes needed for participants, so if you are

1. already signed up; and

2. still need a Steam key; then

Please let me know on this thread. I have told Paolo that I'll leave it a few days to give people a chance to reply.

As things have dragged on a bit now, I don't want to hang about, so if you still need a key to play let me know by Wednesday latest!

I'll be contacting him Thursday and hopefully (fingers crossed) will have keys to everyone needing them within a day or so.

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

nelmsm

matt3916