Main Menu

Steam summer sale

Started by Toonces, June 12, 2013, 11:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 10, 2013, 04:06:54 PM

I think the bigger issue is that we've already bought everything. Sure, a few games will pop up which I really want, but most of the back catalog has already been picked through during previous sales.

Quoted for truth.  i really do not look forward to these sales anymore.  Everything I always wanted, but never got at release I purchased at least two or three summers ago.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

"Quoted for truth"  -- so, I'm basically Corporal Oppen in Saving Private Ryan, when he finally figures out what 'FUBAR' means.  I keep seeing QFT but couldn't figure out what it meant and was too lazy too Google it.    ....it took me a similarly long time to figure out what FTW meant.

...kids these days, with their jargon and lingo and what not...  Back in my day, etc.

Anyway,  I'm finding these sales pretty underwhelming and unenticing.  I'd probably pounce on something if it interested me, if only to get the very sour taste out of my mouth from dropping $100 on the crash-tastic Company of Heroes 2.  Man do I feel burned.

Toonces

Duuuuude.  Never buy on the first day, and never pre-purchase.

C'mon man, this is computer gaming 101, especially for big ticket titles!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I pre-purchase big ticket games in exchange for 25% discounts...prepurchased Rome 2: Total War and CoH 2 that way, don't feel burned on CoH 2. Obviously the jury is out until Rome 2 is released.

Sometimes you just have to say 'f' it and go with what feels good.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

For years I refused to pre-purchase anything. Just loosened up in the last few months. So far I don't feel suckered at all.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Well, Rome 2 is a safe bet I suppose.  I have faith in CA.

Same with ARMA3.  I bought into that at the alpha level because I know they're going to create gaming goodness.

Gusington

That's how I felt about CoH2 and I was right, IMHO...no crashes for me and tons of fun. Agreed on Rome 2.

I've been a tightwad for 99% of my gaming life. Loosening up feels good.

But hey whateva.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Quote from: Toonces on July 10, 2013, 08:48:07 PM
Duuuuude.  Never buy on the first day, and never pre-purchase.

C'mon man, this is computer gaming 101, especially for big ticket titles!

QFT

(...see what I did there?)

I know I broke one of the cardinal rules w/ Day One Purchase on Big Ticket Title.  I even committed the worse sin of paying extra for the 'collectors edition.'  Just what circle of gamer's hell this has earned for me, I don't know.  I'll guess 5th. 

Still, I figured CoH2 was 'can't miss'.  I was wrong.  Not only because it's a CTD-fest, but because it really doesn't improve in any significant way on the original.  I rank the original as one of the best war games of all time (some may think that's crazy, but I genuinely believe it was/is that good).  So I'm kinda pissed I blew $100 on "More of the same, only way less stable."   Live and learn, I suppose.

Will Rome 2 live up to expectations?  Probably yeah, but you never know.  We all remember the initial disappointment that greeted Empire TW in release (...the AI unable to launch naval invasions and so forth... Made playing as Britain, well, kinda unchallenging.). still, I agree with those who say the excellence of Shogun 2 bodes well for Rome sequel.

sandman2575

Quote from: Gusington on July 10, 2013, 09:16:22 PM

But hey whateva.

I believe "whatevs" has supplanted "whateva" in the preferred argot of today's youth.  Just sayin'.

Huw the Poo

How the hell did COH2 cost $100?!

sandman2575

The 'digital collector's edition' costs a cool $100.  It contains 'extra content', mostly unit skins, that I have discovered is decidedly not worth an extra $40 to the already expensive $60 for the basic game.

It's been a long time since I felt gouged and suckered like this. I've slapped down $100 for Gary Grigsby titles, but felt that was justified given the amount of content and he fact that its an indy developer. 

I'm pretty damn disappointed and in fact would refund it if I could. Given my huge expectations for this game, that's saying a lot.

Gusington

I can't argue with what has been going on with your copy of CoH2...technical craptacularity happens. But I can't defend your 40.00 skins purchase either. That's 40.00 that could have been spent on some more skin in a strip club or something. But hey whatevs.

100.00 can be an expensive lesson but you won't make the same mistake again.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2013, 07:44:40 AM
That's 40.00 that could have been spent on some more skin in a strip club or something. But hey whatevs.

You are a wiser man than I, sir.

Also, points for using "whatevs".

Gusington

Thank you, I try. I hope you get CoH 2 working because beyond the tech issues is some good gaming lurking there. Granted I have not played the original CoH games yet.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd