Flight sim for Mac

Started by Staggerwing, July 13, 2013, 11:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I need a good suggestion for a flight sim for my iMac that is relatively cheap and available online. The 'puter is a 2008 with 2.4 GHz processor so I can't handle anything too heavy, performance wise, but my beefier Win7 box won't be set up for a while yet and I need something to scratch the flight itch. I'll consider civvie or combat. I'm running OS 10.8 in case it matters. Thanks all.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

PanzersEast

Are you looking for commercial aviation or combat?

PE

Staggerwing

Either one, as long as the combat sim allows for some random sightseeing as well. I want to keep it cheap as I will go back to simming under Windows in a month or two. I just ran across a freeware game called 'Flightgear' so I'll give that a try, assuming it's not too buggy.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Staggerwing

I have x-plane 9 for Win somewhere in the midst of all my post move chaos. Did Laminar put both Win and OSX versions on the disks?

jomni

X-Plane 10
Not cheap and you need the DVDs

Yskonyn

I am not sure actually, I just seem to recall that it runs on a Mac as well.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

steve58

...never mind. ::)  Just saw in your post above you already found this...

While I've never used it myself (I have MS Flight Sim and Xplane 10), you might want to check out FlightGear. Its a free MS Flight Simulator/Xplane clone.

"FlightGear is a free open-source flight simulator.  It supports a variety of popular platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.) and is developed by skilled volunteers from around the world."

Here are some links to the Mac version: 

http://www.flightgear.org/download/
Has links to the latest version 2.10

http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/home/
The site shows a link to ver 2.6, so may not be very up to date.  I did see these specs on the site though:

•Intel Macs (core2 2.4GHz or better is recommended)
•Powerful GPU (Discrete GPU is recommended. Integrated GPU is OK, but you'll get low frame rate)
•Mac OS X 10.5 or later.
•Network connection (for multi player and scenery download)

Looks like the base program is about ~740MB.  Additional planes and especially scenery would be lots more...

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Thanks for taking the time to look, Steve. I tried Flightgear last night but for some reason, when I hit the 'start flight' button- nothing happens ???. I may try to research it but I'm also going to go rummage around for my x-plane 9 disks and see if they have the Mac version on them. *crosses fingers*