PC Games on Ancient Greece and Alexander the Great

Started by Gusington, May 05, 2012, 05:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2012, 11:21:16 AM
^Have you played Spartan?

I'm pretty sure I tried it several years ago and didn't like it. Can't remember 100% though. IIRC it was too light for me, but I do remember it having some fans. Maybe others here with more experience can chime in.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2012, 11:21:16 AM
^Have you played Spartan?

It's about the only other grand strategy style game of similar period to Hegemony.  I like it, but some people don't.

It's also older so the game is fixed resolution.   There should be a combo pack that includes it's Gates of Troy expansion which adds more campaign options, and one option I really liked - an extra zoom out level on the campaign map (it's pretty big in relation to movement). 

Most people who didn't like it mentioned the battles as being their big complaint.  While not terribly involved, they also allowed some quick battle strategy without taking up a lot of time from the campaign layer, which was the focus of the game IMO.    I want a sequel, actually!

Gusington

^I have the product page open right now for Sparta.

That said, my intense interest in the era is waning a bit as I finish up Keegan's book and my Hegemony campaign grinds into stalemate...I just cannot take that last enemy city and have lost a lot of men trying to do so. But I didn't expect to play for more than a couple of weeks anyway.

Plus...Warlock is released tomorrow and The Big D next week. But Hegemony kept me gaming during a light time, moreso than I thought it would.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Hegemony is a good, light time sink for a few days.

Nefaro

Once we move on from Warlock, at least some of these Ancients games will be on your radar now.  :D

Anguille

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2012, 09:00:50 PM
^I have the product page open right now for Sparta.

That said, my intense interest in the era is waning a bit as I finish up Keegan's book and my Hegemony campaign grinds into stalemate...I just cannot take that last enemy city and have lost a lot of men trying to do so. But I didn't expect to play for more than a couple of weeks anyway.

Plus...Warlock is released tomorrow and The Big D next week. But Hegemony kept me gaming during a light time, moreso than I thought it would.

Note that Gates of Troy is a standalone addon for Spartan....you don't really need Spartan (unless you want the various scenarios from Spartan).

Cheers

Gusington

^Got it. Spartan interests me more though :)

And you were right Bison, Hegemony is good for a week or two, then it gets a little repetitive. Hopefully the Roman game will open up a bit.

I still hold a soft spot for it as it was my entry point game into ancients.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on May 08, 2012, 09:38:26 AM
^Got it. Spartan interests me more though :)

And you were right Bison, Hegemony is good for a week or two, then it gets a little repetitive. Hopefully the Roman game will open up a bit.

I still hold a soft spot for it as it was my entry point game into ancients.

Some of the most requests for the sequel were adding more economy/building gameplay to it.  I also hope they improved the diplomacy past the 'Bribery or we attack' stage.  If those two are improved, then it's a win.

Gusington

I hope they flesh out the new factions a little more.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd