East Palestine train derailment

Started by al_infierno, February 13, 2023, 07:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

I'm surprised this hasn't been getting more coverage in national news. Barely heard anything about it until the chemical burn-off. Long-term outlook is potentially bad.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2023/02/13/east-palestine-ohio-train-derailment-facts/69898564007/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

FOX has been covering it steadily throughout the weekend and today. There was another derailment today in Texas.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Some people have claimed that this is the true reason for the distracting story of the Chinese "weather balloons".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2023, 03:32:28 AMSome people have claimed that this is the true reason for the distracting story of the Chinese "weather balloons".

Explain?  Or is this a joke that went over my head? 

Also, strangely enough the area was also the filming sight for the movie "White Noise" which featured a very similar "airborne toxic event" caused by a train crash, which features extras in the East Palestine area.  Art imitates life imitates art  :Wow:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on February 14, 2023, 04:43:34 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2023, 03:32:28 AMSome people have claimed that this is the true reason for the distracting story of the Chinese "weather balloons".

Also, strangely enough the area was also the filming sight for the movie "White Noise" which featured a very similar "airborne toxic event" caused by a train crash, which features extras in the East Palestine area.  Art imitates life imitates art  :Wow:

Not a joke. Some people are suggesting that the balloon story is a distraction from the ecological disaster of the train derailment and the impact it may have on food supply.

It's not my theory, for the record.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Groggy

Quote from: al_infierno on February 14, 2023, 04:43:34 AM

There are already people claiming the movie White Noise is "predictive programming" for the Ohio derailment, so things are just going to get dumber.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

GDS_Starfury

there's a lot to comment on this story.  however it very rapidly becomes political.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 14, 2023, 09:54:54 AMthere's a lot to comment on this story.  however it very rapidly becomes political.

Well, it can certainly be discussed here, but lets try to keep the politics out of it. i think a discussion of the cause of the accident, as well as its potential impacts and repercussions without editorializing are fair game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Groggy

The reverberations of this will be incalculable for the people in AT LEAST three different states that will have to live with the consequences of chronic exposure to these chemicals. There's a real possibility an entire region of the country will become one gargantuan cancer cluster.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

JasonPratt

SecTrans (finally) released a statement on the disaster, per a Twitter thread. The original thread:

https://twitter.com/SecretaryPete/status/1625305036854009856?s=20&t=cl_chMZ5QJ83RbHFSvL3oA

Epoch Times citations from it, plus some other updates:

QuoteButtigieg broke his silence following the criticism, posting on Twitter a series of statements.

"I continue to be concerned about the impacts of the Feb 3 train derailment near East Palestine, OH, and the effects on families in the ten days since their lives were upended through no fault of their own," he said in a post on Twitter.

He made reference to an investigation into the accident being conducted by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), noting that the Department of Transportation (DOT) was assisting with the probe.

"Our Federal Rail Administration and Pipelines and Hazardous Materials teams were onsite within hours of the initial incident and continue to be actively engaged," he said.

"We will look to these investigation results & based on them, use all relevant authorities to ensure accountability and continue to support safety," Buttigieg continued.

He said that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) had screened 291 homes for both indoor and outdoor air quality and that there were "no detections" of dangerous chemicals. Another 181 homes remain to be checked, he added.

In a Feb. 13 update, EPA said that community air monitoring in East Palestine was running 24 hours a day and that, so far, the network of monitoring stations "did not detect anything above the action level."

A day prior, EPA said that the duration of community air monitoring would eventually be phased out in consultation with local authorities.

"Air monitoring since the fire went out has not detected any levels of concern in the community that can be attributed to the incident at this time," the EPA's Feb. 12 statement reads.

"Residents may still smell odors from the site. If you experience symptoms, Columbiana County Health Department recommends calling your medical provider."

The incident marked the third train derailment in Ohio since October 2022.

On Feb. 6, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine and Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro ordered the evacuation of a 2-mile by 1-mile zone spanning the state line due to the presence of vinyl chloride.

A statement from DeWine cited the presence of the toxic chemical in five boxcars, announcing that the possibility of a devastating explosion would be mitigated through a controlled release later that day.

The statement said that residents who stayed near the controlled release risked "grave danger of death."

After the vinyl chloride release, DeWine and other officials said on Feb. 8 that residents near the incident could return to their homes.

Residents of nearby communities have reported that animals on their properties have been sickened or even died, raising concerns about the risk to livestock and humans.

Erin Brockovich, the consumer advocate made famous by the eponymous movie, took to Twitter to say that she's trying to gather more information about the incident, while urging area residents to trust their senses and act accordingly if they experience anything worrying.

"I'm trying to gather information on this very serious situation in Ohio involving a train derailment with hazardous chemicals," Brockovich wrote on Twitter over the weekend. "What I will say is this. Trust your eyes, ears and nose and get the hell out of there if your senses are telling you too [sic]."

On Monday afternoon, Brockovich—who was the subject of the 2000 Academy Award-winning film "Erin Brockovich"—called on the federal government to be more transparent.

"The Biden administration needs to get more involved in this #PalestineOhio train derailment now. We are counting on you to break the chain of administration after administration to turn a blind eye. STEP UP NOW," she wrote.

Meanwhile, a West Virginia water utility has enhanced its water treatment process as a precaution following the derailment.

West Virginia American Water said Sunday that there hasn't been any change in raw water at its Ohio River intake.

"The health and safety of our customers is a priority, and there are currently no drinking water advisories in place for customers," the company said in a statement.

It added that it is planning to install a secondary intake on the Guyandotte River in case there's a need to switch to an alternate water source.

Jack Phillips and Nathan Worcester contributed to this report.

Brockovich's Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/ErinBrockovich/status/1625241729757507600

Joint statement from Govs Dewine and Shapiro et al saying residents can return home: https://governor.ohio.gov/media/news-and-media/East-Palestine-Update-Residents-Can-Safely-Return-Home-02082023

Prior Dewine statement: https://governor.ohio.gov/media/news-and-media/east-palestine-update-evacuation-area-extended-controlled-release-of-rail-car-contents-planned-for-3-30-pm-02062023

EPA statement yesterday (Feb 13th): https://response.epa.gov/site/site_profile.aspx?site_id=15933
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

All I'm going to say on this is that I agree with what JH said.  I'll go one step further to also say it is plausible, no matter how outrageous, that this is more than meets the eye on this. 

Check out what a prepper has to say...I'm not a prepper mind you but I like to hear what they have to say.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Windigo

vinyl chloride, butyl acrylate, ethylhexyl acrylate, ethylene glycol monobutyl ether and isobutylene

quite the list of nasty chemicals said to be on that train
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

theres also the bit about trump reversing an Obama rule that these kind of tanker cars be fitted with a specific type of brake to prevent these types of accidents.
and to be fair about it, I see no reason for the current administration to have not reinstated that rule over the last two years.
I also think its rather silly that the Ohio governor would state that hes got it covered.
https://newrepublic.com/post/170591/train-derailment-ohio-governor-mike-dewine-im-not-seeing-problems