President Forever 2012 Nearing Completion

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 03, 2012, 06:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Sort of a US domestic wargame:)

I think a while back we might have had a quick discussion on campaign simulator games.  Looks like President Forever 2012 is finally nearing completion.  To be honest, not sure if they might have missed their window of opportunity of releasing this much sooner during the primaries, but some people might still find it interesting to compete for the US presidency.  You can actually buy the game right now for $19 and participate in the beta.  These games have always intrigued me, but I do wonder how fun it would actually be.

I'll probably wait for a bit to see how it turns out...

son_of_montfort

I can't find anywhere if they upped the resolution. If not, I'm out, despite really liking the game.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Grim.Reaper

According to their forums, release expected before September.

However, noticed this new game at Gamersgate...looks interesting.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-1600/the-race-for-the-white-house

MetalDog

Not a new game by any stretch of the imagination, but a game I played many years ago, Campaign '84 for the Colecovision.

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameMuseum.Detail&id=77

And a YouTube vid, that I have not watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtPDGv4ktsc
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Nefaro

I've never played a "political election battle" game before, so decided to try it out with the upcoming The Political Machine 2012 since the pre-order was only about $7.

I'll give you guys a quick rundown on it after it releases end of this month.

GJK

I have the previous version of President Forever with a mod covering this election cycle.  I played it for maybe a week before getting bored to tears with the repitition, that despite being a political junkie. 

This new boardgame has piqued my interest however and I'll be picking up a copy soon:

Swing States 2012 by Victory Point Games.  www.victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=210

Video review by Marco (I love his reviews!):  www.boardgamegeek.com/video/18538/swing-states-2012/video-review

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on July 13, 2012, 08:33:21 PM
I've never played a "political election battle" game before, so decided to try it out with the upcoming The Political Machine 2012 since the pre-order was only about $7.

I'll give you guys a quick rundown on it after it releases end of this month.

I might pick this one up too, especially since so cheap.

meadbelly

Did anyone ever try Republic: The Revolution? I got maybe 10 hours in before I realized pounding my head against the wall was arguably both funner and more productive.

I'll be anxious to see to Nefaro and other's thoughts on political machine 2012.

Grim.Reaper

I did pick up the political machine since so cheap, I'll guess we'll see how good it is on Tuesday:)

I am also keeping my eye on the Race for the Whitehouse...might pick that one up two whenever it gets a little cheaper at Gamersgate.

tgb

If you're curious about Political Machine 2012, I think there was a demo for the '08 version.  The one coming out tomorrow is essentially the same game with new issues for the candidates to address.  It's not the deepest political game in the world, and the cartoony graphics take some getting used to, but It's a fun romp for $7, considering the two predecessors sold for $20.

One thing the older versions let you do that this one doesn't is create any race from history.  Plus it had a campaign.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on July 30, 2012, 06:21:26 AM

One thing the older versions let you do that this one doesn't is create any race from history.  Plus it had a campaign.

So they started doing it like EA's sports games?  Just one season line-up available for every edition?   :-\

tgb

Quote from: Nefaro on July 30, 2012, 12:14:57 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 30, 2012, 06:21:26 AM

So they started doing it like EA's sports games?  Just one season line-up available for every edition?   :-\

Yes, but at least they're not charging $60

Nefaro

True.

Also - you can evidentally create your own harbinger of communi... err.. politician. 

Oh, the evil evil things I'm gonna trick people into voting for.  :)

MarkShot

I had Democracy 1 & 2 from Positech.  Those games were nicely done for what they attempted.  They were not exactly election games, but, of course, you needed to get reelected.

I had bought an early edition of GPS which has elections.  But the game had quite a few issues and very poor documentation.  But I liked how you could hold meetings with all type of figures and there was always an option to "offer a cup of coffee" or "sleep with them" ... definitely a very "French" political game.

Finally, there is Tropico 1.  I like winning the love of my people or just banning elections and writing out assassination edicts.  Sometimes, elections can be such a huge drain on your personal ambitions!  :)

eyebiter