Main Menu

Taiko

Started by Gusington, July 29, 2012, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Anyone read this title? It's a novelization of Japan's 'Age of the Country at War'...the era that the original Shogun 2 covers. It is a classic in Japan and has many fans internationally. Of course I have a copy, but it weighs in at a hefty 1000 pages. Want to ask you guys who have read it, if any, how much of a slog that 1000 pages is.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Taiko-Eiji-Yoshikawa/dp/4770026099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343605197&sr=8-1&keywords=Taiko

Thanks all!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Hmm, that looks good.  May have to scour the local library system for a copy. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

I remember seeing the book in a shop for the first time years ago but being too intimidated to pick it up, until now. Sometime 1000 page tomes breeze by, sometimes they drag like a sack of anvils. Not sure what this one will be.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Werth's Russia at War was one of those books that dragged.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

My Asian history is sorely lacking, so, something like that, with the odd names and geography, would be a slog for me.  If you're comfortable with those things, you should do fine.  I would think.  Total conjecture on my part.  :-)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Admittedly I also judge by font size. The font of this one is pretty small. But even then, sometimes it doesn't matter. Crucible of War is another favorite title of mine with a small font and ~1000 pages that was so good I did not want it to end. Dreadnaught and Peter the Great are also long but also so good I was sad when I finished. Inspiring reads.

Can't tell if Taiko is in the same vein.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I have Musashi, by the same author.  It is really good.  I only got about halfway through, then got into a different book, and enough time has gone by that I've just recently restarted Musashi.

The writing is strong, as is the story.  I'd say Taiko is a safe bet.  They have a copy here in a local used book store that I'm probably going to pick up eventually.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I've been wanting to read "Musashi" forever too. Is "Musashi" the same book as "Brave Warrior Musashi"?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

This is the book to which I am referring: http://www.amazon.com/Musashi-Eiji-Yoshikawa/dp/4770019572/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344669790&sr=1-1&keywords=musashi

I don't know if it's the same as the book you said above.  121 5-star reviews can't be wrong.  Like I said, I read about half of it (500 pages, very small font) and I really enjoyed it but I took a break from it and by the time I got back to it I had sort of forgotten what was going on.  I picked it up at Disney World Epcott Center, in the Japan country gift shop of all places! 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I think both titles refer to the same book...I think...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd