Has anyone read The Jennifer Morgue?

Started by Staggerwing, August 09, 2012, 10:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

http://www.amazon.com/The-Jennifer-Morgue-ebook/dp/B001O2NEI8/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

I was inspired to ask about it by the current Stealth Barge/Project Azorian thread.

(If anyone is tempted to buy it, remember to use the Stickied Grogheads link in this subforum.)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 09, 2012, 10:51:48 AM
http://www.amazon.com/The-Jennifer-Morgue-ebook/dp/B001O2NEI8/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

I was inspired to ask about it by the current Stealth Barge/Project Azorian thread.

(If anyone is tempted to buy it, remember to use the Stickied Grogheads link in this subforum.)

No, but I see paper and hard copies for sale for a penny. Shipping will probably raise that to four or so bucks, but at that price it's probably worth a bite. Does sound kinda cool. I hope it's good.

BTW, here's a GrogHeads link if you decide to buy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O2NEI8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001O2NEI8&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Thanks, I do believe I'll take the plunge.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

meadbelly

Charles Stross is one of the best and most prolific authors in sci fi right now. The guy has ideas like I have positive reactions to The Channel That Shall Not be Named. He ranges from hard sci speculation (Accelerando, Halting State) to Heinlein-on-the-cusp-of-the-deep-end, (Heinlein's Friday, and the unattributed by obvious Stross sequel (Saturday's Children), to modern-day parallel universes with quasi-medieval settings (The Merchant Prince series). The Jenifer Morgue is part of The Laundry Files.

I've read a handful of his stuff, and really, really, really liked halting state. I've enjoyed a few others. But he doesn't quite work for me; I can't describe it any other way other than he lacks gravitas The Laundry Files have not been for me in this way -- it's espionage / black ops / horror but also tongue-in-cheek and the juxtaposition of the two rang hollow for me.

I am, however, in a very small minority.