Next from Microprose...

Started by Gusington, January 19, 2021, 04:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

...I bring you Highfleet...steampunk aerial battleship duels with a supposedly 'FTL' vibe:

http://koshutin.com/

Trailer:

:D

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

If it is half as good as Airships: Conquer the Skies it will be a hit.

Seriously, Airships is Phenomenal with a capital P.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/342560/Airships_Conquer_the_Skies/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

hellfish6

Someone said it before, but those eastern European devs can make at atmospheric game like nobody else. That artwork is intensely compelling to me.

Gusington

Yep - Russians, Poles, Ukrainians...they know 'mood'. And in different types of games too - RPGs like Cyberpunk or The Witcher, RTS games like Iron Harvest, and however you want to categorize HighFleet. Amongst others!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fran

Another temping MicroProse offering.

I wish them success, they already do have a lot of promising titles on their books.

Definitely happy to support them in the future.

The_Admiral

If you want to know more about the "strategic" part, Konstantin the dev had made a video about it as late as last November (so it's still pretty up to date) with a few combat sequences too.

Cheers!

Gusington

For me this game just came out of nowhere and is quite the welcome gift. I really hope it lives up to how I am imagining it to be. Even if it doesn't...it still looks like it will be really good :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I have to chime in here to provide a bit of balance to the discussion.
Both the carrier game and this game that Microprose are "remaking" are of no interest to me. This sort of project is probably only of interest to those that have nostalgia for them.
The games seem like cheap wins to me. The graphics would have been cutting edge for what you could do back when they were made, but now they are just being touched up a bit
for todays market. I would prefer them to concentrate on making new cutting edge content. Like the VR version of the mighty eighth that they are doing.
Just 2c from somebody that did not play either game back when they were first released.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

hellfish6

Highfleet was based on another game?

Gusington

^Not that I can tell from the site, the game description or anything released from Microprose.

Des do you have links or something to back what you posted above?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

The_Admiral

Quote from: Destraex on January 23, 2021, 06:12:26 PM
I have to chime in here to provide a bit of balance to the discussion.
Both the carrier game and this game that Microprose are "remaking" are of no interest to me. This sort of project is probably only of interest to those that have nostalgia for them.
The games seem like cheap wins to me. The graphics would have been cutting edge for what you could do back when they were made, but now they are just being touched up a bit
for todays market. I would prefer them to concentrate on making new cutting edge content. Like the VR version of the mighty eighth that they are doing.
Just 2c from somebody that did not play either game back when they were first released.

Not sure what you mean by that Des - none of our teams is being tasked on another project, and the large majority of the current teams (and the upcoming ones, unannounced as of yet too  :coolsmiley:) had had our own project from some time. Carrier Command 2 & B-17 2 are the only announced games which were commissioned by Microprose, and they both have their own team too. Reviving Carrier Command has been a long dream of the CEO David Lagettie and it is a labour of love - that's the sort of project no big publisher would go for, so I have to give him that too. Besides, in terms of graphics, it's not "old-school" nor retro, it shares some tech & design with Stormworks. I kinda like it, and it sure helps positively with product differentiation (with, say, Sea Power & us - our two engines have nothing in common, and yet people sometimes still believe that we're the same thing). CC2 had a great start in terms of followership, so although you are not too much into it, others are, which is fortunate for everybody involved in its making  :notworthy:

Now, Konstantin's work on Highfleet is nothing like some remake. The only games that might be close to its design that I might think of are Hammerfight (his first game, but widely different combat mechanics) and Airships (which was modular, and as such had a very, very different art direction). In terms of efforts for the mood and the strategic part both (aka see for yourself in the video I posted) it is second to none in the category. I might understand that some might not be particularly interested in the premises of these games, but they do resonate with another part of the community, and involved a lot, a lot of work from the creators (especially Highfleet over the last 4 or 5 years) - and as such certainly don't deserve that "cheap win" comment part... My own 2c  ;)

Destraex

Quote from: hellfish6 on January 23, 2021, 08:46:30 PM
Apologies guys. I just thought it must have been based on an old game judging by how old and clunky it looks in the trailer. It looks like a 90s game to me.
The Carrier one is though.

@The_Admiral - Now I know highfleet is entirely original and new, then I am sure a lot of heart and soul went into the game.

P.S. Highfleet is an RTS game, no?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on January 25, 2021, 07:47:32 AM
Quote from: hellfish6 on January 23, 2021, 08:46:30 PM
Apologies guys. I just thought it must have been based on an old game judging by how old and clunky it looks in the trailer. It looks like a 90s game to me.

Clunky and old? From the 90s? I don't see it that way. They look shiny and new to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

hellfish6

It's 2D, which is the only thing that makes it look 'dated' to my eye, but the graphics as a whole look completely stunning. If this could have existed in the 90s, I might have never upgraded from a 486.

The_Admiral

Quote from: Destraex on January 25, 2021, 07:47:32 AM
P.S. Highfleet is an RTS game, no?

Not easy to categorize. That's part of its charm - and reason why also marketing it is probably a challenge too. The tactical part is somewhere between a tactical two-way bullet hell with a lot of choices to make before and on the move, with an arena system. The strategic part is very mature, with management of resources, navigation not unlike what you'd have in TFA or in a U-boot game... And then you also have the politics, the role playing & the narrative. It's a complex beast and at any rate, as you say a lot of soul went into this.

Quote from: hellfish6 on January 25, 2021, 08:48:36 AM
It's 2D, which is the only thing that makes it look 'dated' to my eye, but the graphics as a whole look completely stunning. If this could have existed in the 90s, I might have never upgraded from a 486.

Indeed that might come from there - but also often looks are deceptive and there are some out there who would see 2D immediately as some sort of shortcut - while, by today's standards, it is sometimes even the opposite. All of this is usually fake 2D (you can see it in the trailer IIRC when the screen with the main base has the little radars & weapons rotating). This are 3D models being seen from the side. To some extent I had feedback from other projects saying that it was even harder than actual 3D, because you need to put together new rules, make sure it looks the act without being overly stupid... It is, as an artistic & gameplay choice, sometimes more daring than it seems. At any rate, happy to see that some can appreciate it nonetheless. Wouldn't be interested myself if it wasn't for the powerful character it radiates, that makes me want to give it a try- and if it works with me, I sure do hope it works this way for some others too.  ^-^