Shelby Foote's ACW trilogy if you've already read McPherson's book?

Started by WallysWorld, June 15, 2021, 03:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

So I've read and re-read James M. McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era" many times and obviously thoroughly enjoy it.

I'm looking at ordering some stuff from Amazon and thinking of ordering Foote's trilogy while I'm am it. If you've read McPherson, is it worth it to get Foote's trilogy? Obviously Foote's books are way bigger, but would I just be almost repeating what McPherson wrote?

Any opinions are welcome and thanked for.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

nelmsm

I loved Foote's books.  Thought they were well worth the read.  Might have a slight Confederate bias but just something about his style grabbed me and they just flow so well.

bobarossa

I also loved Foote's books.  I'm from the North and still felt he was fairly balanced.

JasonPratt

I would think any in-depth account of the war would be better, as such, than McPherson's Battle Cry. That's a great book, but not really focused on the ACW.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

WallysWorld

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered Foote's first book and will see later if I want the other two books in the series.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Toonces

Foote's trilogy gives you way, way more information on the war and the battles than in McPherson.  I think the portion on Gettysburg alone is like 150 pages.  It's a real commitment to get through all three volumes, but if you're an ACW fan I can't see how you can pass up those iconic books.

Bruce Catton's books are also very well written.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

I'm hoping to get to my collection of Catton's books next year (after finishing Churchill's WW2).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!