Masters of Rome

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2012, 06:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

In anticipation of the release of AJE, I'm interested in brushing up on some Roman fiction.  Anybody read the Masters of Rome series, by Colleen McCullough.  I picked up book one, The First Man in Rome, from a used book store.  These books are beefy.  Are they worth the effort?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bison

It's a really good series and reads much quicker than the number of pages would suggest.

Jarhead0331

^Excellent.  Thanks!  Is there a lot about the Roman army in it?  Or is it more about politics and intrigue?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

They are great books and very well researched.  There is a fair amount about the military and theMarian reforms, but it's told from the perspectives of the generals and mostly deals with their personalities, their intrigues, and their power struggles.  There's not a lot of detail about the soldiers themselves or in depth descriptions of battles and tactics.

MetalDog

I tried First Man In Rome several years ago.  I found it daunting and fizzled out after a hundred pages or so.  It's a period I know less about than others.  However, I have been following the Alea Jacta Est threads in Computer Wargaming and am thinking about pulling the trigger on the preorder.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Yeah SDR has it correct.  Politics and intrigue are the main thrust of the story. 

besilarius

A friend read all of the series and loved it.
His only quibble was that the author makes Marius' erratic behavior the result of a stroke.
Entirely possible, but he thought it was an easy out for her, instead of trying to write about how he made his choices.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.