Main Menu

Cover Affair

Started by LongBlade, September 02, 2012, 12:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

I just picked up a paperback book by Jennet Conant called Covert Affair.

It is the biography of Julia Child and her husband and their work in the OSS.

I just finished the first chapter and I am unhappy. It begins without prelude in the midst of the McCarthy era with her husband, Paul, being investigated as part of the McCarthy witch hunt. It is gut wrenching to read of the idiocy taking place then and not at all a good way to start a book that I thought was going to be Julia Child Kicks Nazi Ass.

However, it is well written and researched and I am willing to give it some time to get better. Right now all I have to say is that McCarthy can go ʄΨϿќ himself.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

It's scary to imagine what further harm McCarthy could have cause had he not overreached himself and taken on the Army. One can only hope that his liver failed before he held his first Nuremberg rally.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

That sort of talk sounds.....suspicious, Stagger.   And you often read books, do you?  That's something a lot of those point headed intellectual types are into.  We're you aware of that?  We're you Comrade!?

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 02, 2012, 06:10:21 AM
It's scary to imagine what further harm McCarthy could have cause had he not overreached himself and taken on the Army. One can only hope that his liver failed before he held his first Nuremberg rally.

Part of the hilarity is their homophobia. I'm not sure exactly what skeletons Hoover hid in his closet, but it might have been rather amusing for those two to lock horns.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

^Considering that McCarthy's sidekick, Roy Cohn, had a crush on a male soldier on active duty whom he got cushy assignments for, that's pretty rich.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I am actually in the middle of watching J. Edgar right now and the movie is rife with homosexual innuendo. It's very creepy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd