What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 19, 2013, 05:09:10 PM
I've read 'Bomber' a long time ago but I have not read 'Fighter'. Let me know if I should put it on my 'to read' list.

I'm about half way through and found it to be extremely interesting so far. Lots of stuff I did not know about, including the 'birth' of the LW and some really good information on the decisions behind aircraft designs and such.

Definitely worth grabbing a copy.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on May 19, 2013, 04:29:35 PM
Reading The Berlin Baghdad Express by Sean McMeekin, about German efforts to get the decrepit pre-WWI Ottoman Empire to join them in an alliance and begin a jihad against the allies. Sort of like Lawrence of Arabia in reverse.

This reminds me that I very much wish Rocksteady (or Rockstar or whoever developed Red Dead Redemption) would set up a sequel taking place during World War One (which they've almost set up anyway during the epilogue/aftergame sandbox), focusing on the German plot to agitate Mexico into invading the US across the southern border -- a plot that when we discovered it (or so says The First World War documentary) contributed more than anything else to our decision to finally enter the war.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I would kill for a game like that!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

I am about a third into After America by John Birmingham. So far a pretty good read and IMO better than the first book in the series Without Warning. Geopolitics in a world where most of the US is suddenly gone are very interesting.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Staggerwing

Angels of Vengeance is the third in the series and not bad either. It wraps up a lot of the plot threads but leaves an opening for more to come. One character in particular unexpectedly grows very formidable.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on May 20, 2013, 12:40:43 PM
I would kill for a game like that!

It doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to do, either: the game already has assets for an early WW1 time period on the frontier; add a few more relevant details here and there, write a story with appropriate missions, design and set up the in-game cutscenes. It might literally take longer to set up and record the voice dialogue.

And then they can release an "Undead Nightmare" sequel, too, based on the same premise. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Sounds like you're ready...I'll wait here for delivery :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 02:51:06 PM
Sounds like you're ready...I'll wait here for delivery :)

under a different context, this would get you jail time

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

^I missed you and your commie hippie green perviness.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 06:43:56 PM
^I missed you and your commie hippie green perviness.

That is truely one of the nicest things ever said to me in this SoM'Bitch Hippie Commune
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

^It's from the heart man, from the heart :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Incidentally, I'm finally reading Watership Down for the first time in my life -- yes really! 

I suspect I'd have liked the book a bit more if I'd read it when I was younger, but I'm still enjoying it.  I'm halfway through so far, and I've found it an easy read. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

^Is that the last book in Patrick O'Brian's Captain Jack Aubrey series? I'm on book 17.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....I'm just kidding. I've never read Watership Down though. Might have to nab it.

Martok

If you can stand an epic "low fantasy" tale about rabbits, I recommend it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

having disappeared into the world of Space Marines with the Ultramarine and Blood Angel omnibuses im after a bit more skullduggery and not quite imperially alligned - is there any good Eldar 40K fiction?