What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I'm close to finishing the follow-up to The Doomsday Vault, but I gotta admit that The Impossible Cube has, so far, been a little flat.  The best comparison I can think of is that I feel about this follow-up the same way I felt about The Mummy II - same characters, same setting, same general theme, but lacking in spark and rushes around the map more than it seems like it needs to.

I did pick up a steampunk anthology at B&N on Wednesday, and I'm looking forward to poking around that one for a bit.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

^Which one? I just got 'Queen Victoria's Book of Spells.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

this one:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/steampunk-ann-vandermeer/1101962917?ean=9781892391759

There's a collected "Bookman" series that I might get, too. 

The next big book purchase I'm probably making is to load up on the Hammer's Slammers collection.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

^I've almost bought that collection a few times but reviews are always mixed. 

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

republic

Currently reading The Tank Killers by Harry Yeide. 

Just read a great quote Capt Frank Redding 705th Tank Destroyer Battalion on using 75mm equipped M3 Halftrack's as indirect fire artillery "Although little good was accomplished because of unsuitable sighting equipment, we added in a highly satisfactory fashion to the general din of battle."

Gusington

Halftracks make everything more gooder.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

I want Peapod.com to start delivering groceries in a half-track. That would be cool...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

Also, having another Grog as your avatar is almost Escher-like in it's surrealism.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

I'm now about halfway through MacPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom.  Bearing in mind that I tend to have a tough time with non-fiction, this has been a pretty easy read. 

And an engrossing one:  It's fascinating to learn more about some of the war's important aspects that don't usually get much coverage (such as economics and internal politics) in addition to some of the smaller details (such as President Zachary Taylor being Jefferson Davis' former father-in-law). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

I finally finished reading The Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker. I don't believe I've read anything quite like it and although it wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I don't regret reading it.

For a change of pace, I am now reading The Heartbreak of Aaron Burr by H. W. Brands.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bob48

Quote from: Greybriar on July 13, 2013, 12:13:09 AM
I finally finished reading The Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker. I don't believe I've read anything quite like it and although it wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I don't regret reading it.

For a change of pace, I am now reading The Heartbreak of Aaron Burr by H. W. Brands.

The Bakker books are pretty epic. I've not long ago finished reading 'White Luck Warrior', the latest in the series.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

I finally finished MacPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom last night.  Mange takk ("many thanks") to everyone who recommended it!  It's not often I find a work of non-fiction to be both informative/educational yet still enjoyable, but MacPherson pulls it off well. 

Next up is The Princes of Ireland by John Rutherfurd.  If it clicks with me, I have the follow-up The Rebels of Ireland on hand as well. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Gusington

Just finished Three Empires on the Nile: The Victorian Jihad 1869-1899 by Dominic Green, very good book. Just started Road to Manzikert: Byzantine and Islamic Warfare 527-1071 by Brian Todd Carey.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Martok on July 26, 2013, 08:07:07 AM
I finally finished MacPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom last night.  Mange takk ("many thanks") to everyone who recommended it!  It's not often I find a work of non-fiction to be both informative/educational yet still enjoyable, but MacPherson pulls it off well. 

Next up is The Princes of Ireland by John Rutherfurd.  If it clicks with me, I have the follow-up The Rebels of Ireland on hand as well.

i think it was everyone here, but when they were 'over there' that pointed me at said book - awesome read and opened my eyes very much to the ACW

Martok

I agree.  It's definitely one to recommend for anyone who has even a modest interest in the ACW. 

Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2013, 10:17:45 AM
Just started Road to Manzikert: Byzantine and Islamic Warfare 527-1071 by Brian Todd Carey.
I'll be eager to get your feedback on that one, Gus.  Manzikert is one of the medieval period's major events that I know little about (but wish to rectify).