What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Martok, I was quite happy with my Kindle versions of the WoT books.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Greybriar

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 19, 2014, 12:00:28 PM

I read all the hardback editions of the Wheel of Time series free, courtesy of my local library. 
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Greybriar on February 19, 2014, 02:17:06 PM

I read all the hardback editions of the Wheel of Time series free, courtesy of my local library.

WHAT WITCHERY IS THIS!!!

;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Martok

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 19, 2014, 06:47:24 AM
IIRC, Admiral Mike has already kicked the nest and wiped out some of the hornets. We're just waiting for the biggest nests who just heard about it to get over their "WTF?!" and respond in true force.
I'm tempted to nit-pick here and point out what you said isn't quite accurate (at least as I'd read things), but I can't really comment further without spoiling stuff.  :P 

When is the next book in that series due out? I haven't heard anything yet.
No idea.  As far as I'm aware, he hasn't even announced a title yet.  I would guess 2016, but that's pure speculation on my part. 

Quote from: Greybriar on February 19, 2014, 02:17:06 PM

I'm only ordering the paperback versions since I already own the rest of the series in paperback.  I like to have complete collections when possible.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

WoT would be a series I owned in hardcover if at all possible.  Same with Martin's Ice and Fire series.  The paperbacks are just too hard on the eyes and the hands.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: Martok on February 19, 2014, 03:17:24 PM
IIRC, Admiral Mike has already kicked the nest and wiped out some of the hornets. We're just waiting for the biggest nests who just heard about it to get over their "WTF?!" and respond in true force.
I'm tempted to nit-pick here and point out what you said isn't quite accurate (at least as I'd read things), but I can't really comment further without spoiling stuff.  :P 

I'll have to re-read it then. You're probably correct as my memory is now less like a swiss watch and more like swiss cheese.

I've actually been thinking of gradually picking up all the books in hardcover as a kind of keepsake. The earlier ones are a bit cheaper now and I did buy at least 3 of the later ones in hardcover already. Also, I think it was truly classy for Baen Books to include the CD of many of their works in multiple ebook formats inside a bunch of their hardcovers. I don't think they do it anymore but I still give them kudos for trying it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Greybriar

I just started reading Bitter Glory: Poland and Its Fate 1918-1939 by Richard M. Watt.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Martok

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 19, 2014, 07:41:10 PM
I've actually been thinking of gradually picking up all the books in hardcover as a kind of keepsake. The earlier ones are a bit cheaper now and I did buy at least 3 of the later ones in hardcover already.
I'm contemplating this as well.  In fact, for most of the books in the series, I already own the hardcover editions.  The only copies I own that are paperback-only are books 2-5 in the mainline series, book 1 in the Shadows series, and the 2 Torch novels that have come out so far. 

Also, I think it was truly classy for Baen Books to include the CD of many of their works in multiple ebook formats inside a bunch of their hardcovers. I don't think they do it anymore but I still give them kudos for trying it.
+1  I really like that they did that. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

I'm finishing up the book (from way upthread) on the Thousand-Mile War in the Aleutians; and as a huge change of pace (in a way) have started Simonson's epic late 80s run on Marvel's Mighty Thor. (It's the Omnibus collection, which arrived in a tome well over one thousand pages bound in a classy black and gold hardback -- rather like my own novel which tickles me immensely!  ;D But the book is so heavy I hurt my left hand trying to hold it!)

airboy

Quote from: OJsDad on February 17, 2014, 09:34:41 PM
Just finished Under A Graveyard Moon.  It was pretty good.  Haven't picked up the sequel yet.  I not sure I like Ringo's writing style.  It's a little hard to follow at times. 

Tomorrow, David Webers Like A Mighty Army comes out.  It's the next installment of the Safehold series.

Grogheads had a review of Under a Graveyard Sky.
Next in the series has been released: To Sail a Darkling Sea.  Grogheads review will appear early next month.
http://www.amazon.com/Sail-Darkling-Black-Tide-Rising-ebook/dp/B00HW1TV8W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392910680&sr=8-2&keywords=on+a+darkling+sea

I recommend waiting to read the grogheads review before buying "Darkling Sea"

OJsDad

Quote from: airboy on February 20, 2014, 10:38:54 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on February 17, 2014, 09:34:41 PM
Just finished Under A Graveyard Moon.  It was pretty good.  Haven't picked up the sequel yet.  I not sure I like Ringo's writing style.  It's a little hard to follow at times. 

Tomorrow, David Webers Like A Mighty Army comes out.  It's the next installment of the Safehold series.

Grogheads had a review of Under a Graveyard Sky.
Next in the series has been released: To Sail a Darkling Sea.  Grogheads review will appear early next month.
http://www.amazon.com/Sail-Darkling-Black-Tide-Rising-ebook/dp/B00HW1TV8W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392910680&sr=8-2&keywords=on+a+darkling+sea

I recommend waiting to read the grogheads review before buying "Darkling Sea"

It's because of your that review that I purchased it.  ;)
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on February 19, 2014, 03:17:24 PM

I'll have to re-read it then. You're probably correct as my memory is now less like a swiss watch and more like swiss cheese.

I thought Staggerwing's description was pretty right on. 

I like the Shadows story line a lot better at this time.  However, am I the only one that is getting bored with the same old, DD's take out SD's because the SL is so far behind tech and it's leadership is a bunch of morons? 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

Quote from: OJsDad on February 20, 2014, 06:06:35 PM
However, am I the only one that is getting bored with the same old, DD's take out SD's because the SL is so far behind tech and it's leadership is a bunch of morons? 

That may be why Weber introduced a certain turn of events a few books back that pretty much knocked the Star Empire of Manticore back on it's ass and required Admiral Harrington's 'Only Nixon could go to China' initiative.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 20, 2014, 06:44:38 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on February 20, 2014, 06:06:35 PM
However, am I the only one that is getting bored with the same old, DD's take out SD's because the SL is so far behind tech and it's leadership is a bunch of morons? 

That may be why Weber introduced a certain turn of events a few books back that pretty much knocked the Star Empire of Manticore back on it's ass and required Admiral Harrington's 'Only Nixon could go to China' initiative.

He explains a lot of what happened at the beginning of Storm From The Shadows in the Authors Note.   If you haven't read it yet, you should.  Here is a key piece of it;

Some of my readers who have spoken to me at conventions know that Honor was supposed to be killed in At All Costs under my version of what Mentor of Arisia used to refer to as his "visualization of the cosmic all." I always knew that killing Honor would have been a high-risk move, and that many readers of the series would have been very angry with me, but at the time I'd organized the timeline of Honor's life—that is, before I'd even begun On Basilisk Station—I hadn't really anticipated the fierce loyalty of the readership she was going to generate. Nor, for that matter, had I fully realized just how fond I was going to become of the character. Nonetheless, I remained steadfastly determined (my wife Sharon will tell you that I can sometimes be just a tad stubborn) to hew to my original plan. The fact that I'd always visualized Honor as being based on Horatio Nelson only reinforced my determination, since the Battle of Manticore was supposed to be the equivalent of his Battle of Trafalgar. Like Nelson, Honor had been supposed to fall in battle at the moment of victory in the climactic battle which saved the Star Kingdom of Manticore and ratified her as the Royal Manticoran Navy's greatest heroine.
At the same time, however, I had always intended to continue writing books in the "Honorverse." The great challenge of the later books was supposed to emerge about twenty-five or thirty years after Honor's death, and the primary viewpoint characters would have been her children, Raoul and Katherine. Unfortunately—or fortunately, depending upon your viewpoint—Eric Flint screwed up my original timetable when he introduced the character of Victor Cachat and asked me for an enemy which Manticoran and Havenite secret agents could agree to fight as allies, despite the fact that their star nations were at war. I suggested Manpower, which worked very well for Eric's story. But, especially when I incorporated Eric's characters into the mainstream novels, and when Eric and I decided to do Crown of Slaves, it also pulled the entire storyline forward by two or three decades. Which meant I wasn't going to have time to kill Honor off and get her children grown up before the Manpower challenge hit Manticore.
I wasn't precisely heartbroken when I realized I no longer had any choice about granting Honor a reprieve. Not only did I think her fans would be less likely to come looking for me with pitchforks and ropes, but the closer I'd come to actually killing her, the less and less I'd liked the thought myself.

Gusington

Just chiming in as I always do when I finish one book and move on to another. About to start The Eagle Has Fallen by Brian Young, about the disappearance of Rome's 9th Legion in Britain.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd