What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

I've got the book here Bison, wanna borrow it?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Steelie I wanted to thank you for your recommendations of Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Britannia's Fist...I read them both in a matter of days which is record time for me and enjoyed both a lot.

I am now reading straight history again with Diana Preston's 'The Dark Defile', the story of the British Empire's first Afghan campaign in 1838.

Preston is an excellent writer...she wrote 'Lusitania' which is supposedly excellent (I haven't read it yet) and a book about the Boxer Rebellion which is one of my all time favorites.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Wait a sec...Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter isn't straight history?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Just read everything from Page 1.  Not much to add except for those who tried Robert Jordan.  Stop.  Cease and desist.  You will never get that time back.

Another poor soul mentioned the Sword of Shannara.  PLEASE stop.  What is once read cannot be un-read.

I haven't read Starship Troopers or seen the movie either.

And Dance With Dragons.  Never have I waited so long for so little.  ( I almost feel like a woman).

R. Scott Baker is fantastic and should be read by all fantasy lovers.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Am about two-thirds of the way through How Firm a Foundation, the fifth novel in the Safehold series. 

Of the book so far, I will say only this:  David Weber is a bastard-coasted bastard with bastard filling.  He obviously delights in pissing off his readers by [SPOILER] killing off major (and beloved) characters!  Gah!!!  >:( 

Quote from: Bison on June 12, 2012, 03:51:32 PM
I've never read Starship Troopers or watched the movie.  How's that for scifi sacrilege?
People's mileage will vary on the movie (I enjoy it in a "guilty pleasure" sort of way), but you should definitely read the book, Bison.  I genuinely believe you'd like it. 

Quote from: MetalDog on June 12, 2012, 10:46:33 PM
Just read everything from Page 1.  Not much to add except for those who tried Robert Jordan.  Stop.  Cease and desist.  You will never get that time back.
'phro, you wound me! 

In fairness, though, the Wheel of Time series indeed isn't for everyone.  It does bog down in books 7-10, which a lot of folks (understandably) have a hard time getting through.  The pace picks up again in a major way in book 11 (Knife of Dreams), and I feel it *is* worth getting to that point, but I don't blame those weren't able to persevere that far. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2012, 07:11:44 PM
Steelie I wanted to thank you for your recommendations of Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Britannia's Fist...I read them both in a matter of days which is record time for me and enjoyed both a lot.

If you like Abe, check out the author's latest book about his own version of the Three Wise Men called Unholy Night. So damn good.

I ripped through The Age of Ra. Pretty decent overall. I found it refreshing that during the scenes when he's writing from the point of view of the Egyptian gods, he had them speaking like regular people. It beats the usual overly flowery blather that typically gets subbed in at moments like that. Now I'm about a third of the way through Void Stalker, which is the third book following a war band of the Night Lords Chaos Legion.

Bison

@Martok I'm sure I will when I eventually get around to it.  I got a pretty long list of books on my to read list.

MetalDog

Quote from: Martok on June 13, 2012, 01:05:00 AM
'phro, you wound me! 

In fairness, though, the Wheel of Time series indeed isn't for everyone.  It does bog down in books 7-10, which a lot of folks (understandably) have a hard time getting through.  The pace picks up again in a major way in book 11 (Knife of Dreams), and I feel it *is* worth getting to that point, but I don't blame those weren't able to persevere that far.

The glacial pace, yes, I'm one of those, turned me off afte I got through the first seven or eight books.  Is 11 the one written by someone else after Jordan died?  Might explain the rapid pace. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Knife of Dreams (book 11) is actually the last one written by Jordan himself before he died.  It's almost as if he sensed the end coming, and realized he needed to move things along again! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Arctic: will do on Unholy Night.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: Keunert on April 25, 2012, 11:10:46 AM
Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller. No idea what this is nor what this Miller dude is about. But i like stories about animals.
1. Dogs
2. Capricorns
3. Unicorns

LOL!!  The legend endures!!
Any time is a good time for pie.

OJsDad

@MARTOK You're finally reading How Firm a Foundation.  Great.  PM and let me know where you're at.  If you're up to where I think you are, then I whole heartedly agree.

If you go out to David Webers web site, www.davidweber.net, you can find a snippets section in the forums.  There, you can find the beginning parts of the next Safehold book, Midst Toil and Tribulation, along with other soon to be released books of his.  MTaT is due out in September of this year. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2012, 07:11:44 PM

Is Britannia's Fist well developed and believable.  It looks like it is less thann 300 pages, is that correct?
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

First book is 225 pages, the 2nd one in the series (Rainbow of Blood) is 275 pages. It reads more realistically than most other historical fiction I have read. The author is a defense analyst and was in the US Army. And he's an historian.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Azzurri

R. Scott Baker is fantastic and should be read by all fantasy lovers.

Requoted for truth!