What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Arctic how are you liking Iron Kingdom?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Am just about halfway through Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. 

I'm liking it so far.  The pacing is much better in this one than in his Mistborn trilogy (although I still very much enjoyed those books as well).  I wonder if Sanderson does better with standalone novels. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bob48

I'm half way through the second book in the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' trilogy. I admit I'm quite enjoying them.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on September 18, 2012, 06:54:27 AM
Arctic how are you liking Iron Kingdom?

So far, it's pretty decent. It does seem to spend a lot of time rattling off the names of every single person involved with something, often unnecessarily. And it REALLY goes in to minutia from time to time. But overall, it's good.

Windigo

Quote from: bob48 on September 18, 2012, 01:00:57 PM
I'm half way through the second book in the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' trilogy. I admit I'm quite enjoying them.

+1
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

Arctic try The Vanished Kingdom if you haven't already. Borderline fascist/romantic...but a good read.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on September 18, 2012, 03:53:45 PM
Quote from: bob48 on September 18, 2012, 01:00:57 PM

+1

FWIW Azz told me that was one of the best movies Evah.

<shrug>

I've never read it so I don't know what that might say about him. But I have heard they're good books.

undercovergeek

watched the film on a plane not expecting anything much but was pleasantly surprised - very enjoyable

W8taminute

^I'm curious, which version did you see?  The English or Swedish version of the film?  Both are good, but I found the Swedish version to be a bit more grisly in it's depiction of the murders.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bob48

I've not seen any of the films, but the books are quite riveting, and so far, as I get near to the end of the second book, the tension has not diminished at all. Not usually my choice of reading matter, but I have found a lot of entertainment value in them.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Quote from: W8taminute on September 19, 2012, 12:10:15 PM
^I'm curious, which version did you see?  The English or Swedish version of the film?  Both are good, but I found the Swedish version to be a bit more grisly in it's depiction of the murders.

the english one with Daniel Craig

i liked the 'rapist' revenge scene

OJsDad

Reading Midst Toil and Tribulation by David Weber.  Book 6 in his Safehold series.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

LongBlade

Gusington

^O SNAP. I have that waiting on my WH40K shelf. But I have to read Titanicus before that. And Eisenhorn. And Vampire Wars in the regular WH universe :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd