USN in the Persian Gulf

Started by Jack Nastyface, March 15, 2012, 10:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Nastyface

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Martok

Well this could get interesting. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

I voted for a massive tailgate party.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Smuckatelli

Quote from: LongBlade on March 16, 2012, 07:59:08 AM

They don't do tailgate partys....

Da squids call it a 'Steel Beach' party.

Honestly, I don't see too much of a difference between deployments now and during the 90's.

LongBlade

Quote from: Smuckatelli on March 16, 2012, 08:42:40 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 16, 2012, 07:59:08 AM

They don't do tailgate partys....

Da squids call it a 'Steel Beach' party.

Honestly, I don't see too much of a difference between deployments now and during the 90's.

These deployments seem to put some teeth behind Obama's message to the Iranians that our patience is wearing thin with regard to diplomacy.

Obama has proven he will use a small level of force to achieve results. The question is whether he'll pull the trigger on a large scale use of force.

I think he'll be reluctant to do so because it will trigger $5/gallon gas at a minimum.

But the real reason he won't do it is because I don't think he wants to make the case for yet another war. Surgical strikes he likes. But I don't see him standing before the Congress telling them we need to go to war with Iran. I just don't.

I hope I'm wrong, because only the credible threat of war will give diplomacy the slightest chance of success. But I don't believe the Iranians will give up their designs for a moment - making war the only option.

Much more likely is an Israeli strike on Iran.

Now the question becomes are those carriers there to intimidate Iran? Or perhaps to complicate an Israeli strike?

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack Nastyface

During the 90's wouldn't US carriers have been on station over Iraq to enforce the no-fly zone over Saddam's Iraq.  Since he's and the no-fly zone restrictions are no longer there, why the carriers?

The Stratfor naval deployment maps showed a VERY different picture during the Arab spring.  Most of the CV's on station were hanging out much closer to Egypt, or were in the Mediterranean proper.   Point being...the USN appears to send its carriers closer to where there may be some flare-ups.

Most humble regards,

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

LongBlade

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on March 16, 2012, 01:36:32 PM
During the 90's wouldn't US carriers have been on station over Iraq to enforce the no-fly zone over Saddam's Iraq.  Since he's and the no-fly zone restrictions are no longer there, why the carriers?

The Stratfor naval deployment maps showed a VERY different picture during the Arab spring.  Most of the CV's on station were hanging out much closer to Egypt, or were in the Mediterranean proper.   Point being...the USN appears to send its carriers closer to where there may be some flare-ups.

Most humble regards,

Jack Nastyface

I could be mistaken, but in my latest chapter of ESP For Dummies I tried a new technique and I think I know what Smuck is thinking.

Wasn't there a bit of a dust-up in the 90's with the Iranians where they shut down the Straight for about 12 hours?

Smuckatelli

Quote from: LongBlade on March 16, 2012, 02:03:00 PM
Wasn't there a bit of a dust-up in the 90's with the Iranians where they shut down the Straight for about 12 hours?

@ Jack, you are correct...and for the 90's we no longer had the traditional West Pac...we would finish certifications in Hawaii & Okinawa...visit Singapore, Panang, and a few other places and then hang out in the Gulf for the rest of the deployment.

@ LB, without using my goole-fu...I remember our workups for Oman in 88. We started to convoy ships out of the gulf in the 87-88 time frame. They did attempt to close the Straits...we took down some Iranian  go-plats and they resorted to mines but after it was all done and over with...the Straits stayed open for business.

Windigo

Its about Syria....

oh waitaminute that wouldn't be about oil - only ethical and moral reasons.

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on March 16, 2012, 04:08:11 PM
Its about Syria....

oh waitaminute that wouldn't be about oil - only ethical and moral reasons.

If ya gotta pick yer battles which ones are ya gonna choose: ones where you benefit or ones where ya don't?

LongBlade

Oh, wait. Canada can't project any force because they spend all their cash on health care.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I have to rebut with the best line in the article linked by Brant.

"And while we're on the subject of Iranian "rationality," it is perhaps worth noting that its leaders weren't goofy enough to invade Iraq on a pretext and then spend trillions of dollars fighting an unnecessary war there."
[/size]
[/size]lol, I didnt read the rest of the article, it would only go down hill from that.
[/size]
[/size]So yeah, our taxes suck but there is a good chance we will actually get some benefit from paying in. Your benefit is you get to say how cool some hardware other people get to play with is. Wow, I really do understand why our neighbours are always bitching about paying for government! ;D
[/size]
[/size]
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.