Tom Clancy books

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, October 02, 2013, 01:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

its interesting that so many of us stopped after BatD.
Dance of the Vampires was a chapter in RSR AB, where the SoM's crush a carrier battle group with missiles.  ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 02, 2013, 10:47:17 PM
Dance of the Vampires was a chapter in RSR AB, where the SoM's crush a carrier battle group with missiles.  ;)

I know, they tried to portray it in the movie Sum of all Fears wit Ben Aflec.  Mixed results IMO.  I give the movie makers credit for trying.

GDS_Starfury

ah, that part.  gotcha.

speaking of SoaF, does anyone know where to get the original nuclear scene?  the post 9/11 edit sucked.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 02, 2013, 10:53:07 PM

I know, they tried to portray it in the movie Sum of all Fears wit Ben Aflec.  Mixed results IMO.  I give the movie makers credit for trying.

That was the best part of that movie, the scene with the Backfires attacking the carrier.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

I liked BatD well enough -- it didn't make much sense in real history anymore, but I thought it made enough sense in the context of the alternate history Clancy had been building in his books for a while.

But I felt like it had brought all the major and minor characters to completions of their character arcs (almost a Red Storm Rising completion in itself), and I had other books to read than starting a new book about Ryan's son.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2013, 09:17:47 AM

I liked BatD well enough -- it didn't make much sense in real history anymore, but I thought it made enough sense in the context of the alternate history Clancy had been building in his books for a while.

But I felt like it had brought all the major and minor characters to completions of their character arcs (almost a Red Storm Rising completion in itself), and I had other books to read than starting a new book about Ryan's son.

Those are good points Jason. It wasn't that I felt BatD was terrible, but it did seem like the conclusion to the Jack Ryan Sr. series. I didn't have much interest  in the Jack Ryan Jr. stuff that came after.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Mr. Bigglesworth

Me too. I think i lost all appetite for the books after that one. I did read a couple of his non-fiction books.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Martok

Red Storm Rising remains my favorite Clancy novel overall.  Of the Jack Ryan books, I'd say it was a tie between Patriot Games and Cardinal of the Kremlin

Quote from: mirth on October 03, 2013, 10:18:29 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2013, 09:17:47 AM

Those are good points Jason. It wasn't that I felt BatD was terrible, but it did seem like the conclusion to the Jack Ryan Sr. series. I didn't have much interest  in the Jack Ryan Jr. stuff that came after.
This sums up my feelings as well.  I stopped with BatD because it felt like the conclusion to the main Jack Ryan/John Clark series. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces