Main Menu

Spammers

Started by steve58, November 25, 2021, 09:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Is it just me or does it seem like an uptick in their interest in Grogheads lately?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

It has been a huge problem. Probably bigger than you know because I tend to zap them fairly quickly.

Average is two to three a day.

If anyone has suggestions about how to stop them, I'm all ears.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I average one a day. It used to be one a week. They usually post nonsense. Occasionally they post in actual threads with what initially seems like relevance, and then they...de-cloak.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2022, 11:47:08 AM
It has been a huge problem. Probably bigger than you know because I tend to zap them fairly quickly.

I frequent another board which managed to curb a good amount of spam by adding a mini questionnaire to the account signup process.  Something everybody who's genuinely interested in participating on the board would know.  In the Grogheads case, it could be something like, "What year did World War I end?" and auto-reject anyone who doesn't enter "1918".

Of course, if a spammer is really dedicated, they can get past this - but it's a basic floodgate that keeps out the lowest level of automatic spammers who simply bot an account and auto-post random garbage.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Toonces

We have a great community here that is very proactive about reporting spammers, though.  I really appreciate that as a mod.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on January 02, 2022, 02:10:31 PM

I frequent another board which managed to curb a good amount of spam by adding a mini questionnaire to the account signup process.  Something everybody who's genuinely interested in participating on the board would know.  In the Grogheads case, it could be something like, "What year did World War I end?" and auto-reject anyone who doesn't enter "1918".

Of course, if a spammer is really dedicated, they can get past this - but it's a basic floodgate that keeps out the lowest level of automatic spammers who simply bot an account and auto-post random garbage.

We have that already!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Con

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2022, 05:10:55 PM

We have that already!

We are grogs so make it hard
Something along the lines of
How many buttons were on the napoleonic chaussers Cheval de ligne and we're they silver or gold?
That will really weed out any non anal retentive historical wargaming obsessed geeks

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2022, 05:10:55 PM

We have that already!

Perhaps ask for the answers backwards to prevent bots just doing a google search and auto filling the answer? Maybe require spaces between the letters?
That is if they are bots.

Another common one I see is the "captcha" identify all the traffic lights or buses sort of protection.

Maybe change the JOIN or Create Account button, post to something groggy like "Speak Up on the Forums".
Maybe Login should be "Forum up" or something.

You could even change the "new topic" button to something else... like "grogpost".

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

I make more than $100k a year and work from home playing wargames.  This is entirely true.

Ask me how!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

By being a Groghead mod?!

....wait, no, that can't be true, SirAndrew isn't a mod. Hm.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Still waiting for him to tell me! He's playing coy.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Con

Instead of onlyfans he does onlygrogs and plays Carcassone in tight undies

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Victor

I saw a forum have a lot of trouble with spammers once. They came up with a pretty unique solution. Instead of IP banning or extra work in registering, they found what worked wasn't to try and play whack-a-mole (the bad ones will inevitably make a new account somehow).

Instead they had all new users start with a status where the first X posts had to be moderator approved individually before becoming visible to anyone else. If it wasn't mod approved in a certain time, it got deleted automatically.

Then if the spammers still got through that probation period, instead of being banned/deleted and encouraged to make a new account, the spammer would be limited to a 'special' forum that nobody aside from the admins saw, where the automated scripts would happily post their junk that didn't clutter up the rest of the forum.