Rule the Waves 3: Ironclads to Missile Cruisers

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 18, 2022, 06:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Based on this news, guess deserves its own thread.....prior to this announcement this was expected to be just DLC but now a full standalone product.  Looks like release in October for $35-$45 (although will have an initial sale price) and I guess a good part of this release, will be available on Steam which hopefully removes their old copy protection scheme (although that isn't explicitly stated).

Firstly - my apologies for the delay in this announcement; it has been a trying last few months for NWS since Christopher left us, but we have recovered and have been moving forward in good order.

With that out of the way, let us get down to what you have been waiting for - news and/or updates!

After lots of discussion between Fredrik and myself, and including feedback from our wonderful NWS Beta Team members, we have decided that the upcoming release should be a standalone game, namely "Rule the Waves 3: Ironclads to Missile Cruisers". We have worked on this project for ~ 2.5 years now; with the amount of changes and additions, not to mention improvements in many many areas, we realized a short while back that the work has gone well beyond a simple expansion/dlc...we somehow passed 'feature creep' and entered the realm of what I like to call 'feature bloat' at some point in the past it would appear :-) The previously released 'Expansion Catalog', while it showed much of what was included at its release, will likely become somewhat outdated as additional work is done for the final game release - more details of this will be coming out in our marketing campaign later on.
The exact price point for the RTW3 game has not yet been decided, but it will fall close to our (NWS) typical price range for our new games, somewhere in the 35-45 range is my best guess right now - the exact price will be set/announced later on.
We do plan to put the game on sale at a reduced price for the first week or so of the release, which will effectively give anyone who wishes to take advantage of it a good price break.

Release date: The game will be released in OCTOBER of this (2022) year. THIS IS A SOLID RELEASE WINDOW. This release window gives us some additional time to 'finetune' the game, and a chance to add even more new features and useful changes as well in the meantime!

STEAM: Yes, we plan on a Steam release at the same time as the game is released to the store!!! The initial sale price (that I mentioned above) should also apply on Steam as well as on the store.

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

I like the sound of everything posted above  :D

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Ditto. And that's not the name of my first Ironclad.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Steam release as well???  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe any of the other games in this series have been put on Steam.  Is this the first of more to come?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on May 19, 2022, 06:25:34 AM
Steam release as well???  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe any of the other games in this series have been put on Steam.  Is this the first of more to come?

Correct. No other game developed by NWS has ever been on steam either, as far as I know. It seems that maybe, as tragic as the loss of Chris has been, it may have given the team fresh perspective, vision and the motivation to try new things.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Quote from: Rayfer on May 19, 2022, 06:25:34 AM
I'd love it if they released on steam. For things I think I will play rarely I just don't bite outside of steam. Because I forget about them.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Good post JH and I agree. Great to see this come to Steam and it will hopefully open up the game to lots of new players.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Blucher

I just want to note if someone wants to try RTW2 they removed that god awful DRM scheme in the last patch.

bobarossa

Quote from: Blucher on May 19, 2022, 09:34:37 AM
I just want to note if someone wants to try RTW2 they removed that god awful DRM scheme in the last patch.
I have owned RTW 1 from its release and have hesitated to get RTW2 because of the install DRM thing.  Have been contemplating getting it since they removed DRM but now it looks like I should just wait for RTW3 to come out. 

em2nought

Quote from: Blucher on May 19, 2022, 09:34:37 AM

Do the Steam & Iron games use the same copy protection and/or has it been removed from them as well? https://www.navalwarfare.net/
Stolen elections have consequences.

steve58

Actual release date has been announced (apparently quietly):  May 18, 2023.

QuoteRule the Waves 3 is a simulation of naval ship design and construction, fleet management and naval warfare from 1890 to 1970.

You are placed in the role of 'Grand Admiral' of a navy from the time when steam and iron dominated warship design up to the missile age.

Rule the Waves 3 lets you design and build the ships of your navy and lead them into battle when war erupts.

You can guide your navy's deployment, construction, and operations during a period of great technological innovation and political tensions.

While the game derives much of its technology and events from 'actual' history, you can also forge your own new history each and every time you play!

The game will be released on May 18th both on Matrix Games and Steam.

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/rule-the-waves-3-is-coming-soon

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/rule-the-waves-3-comparison-document
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

devoncop

Watching Dastactic doing his tutorial/Let's Play on RTW 3 and I actually think it may drag me into naval warfare for the first time.

Looks a fascinating game.

As I have a huge and completely inexplicable attachment to Austria Hungary I like the idea of an uphill struggle !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

devoncop

I am shocked to say this but having watched the Dastactic tutorials I then watched a channel called "RvT Wargames" that is doing a tutorial/let's play for Rule the Waves 3 which is even better playing France from 1890.

The guy is very knowledgeable, clear and to the point and has already done a lot of content on Rule the Waves 2 so knows his onions.

Very highly recommended.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games