Main Menu

Age of Wonders 4

Started by RedArgo, January 19, 2023, 01:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 03, 2023, 09:21:05 AM^You should take a job in marketing at Triumph Studios  :tophat:

:police:

I don't do "jobs" any more.

Evil concept. Takes away from valuable idling time.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Work is over rated. If it wasn't for the money involved, I wouldn't do it at all.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I thought you were retired and didn't do it at all...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

You know...marrying money is a full time job.  I don't need the aggravation, I'm a lazy slob. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

devoncop

Just crashed and burned in my first attempt at the tutorial mini campaign on "normal difficulty" (oh the shame of it :HideEyes: )

All was going okay and I had moved into a military lead v both my rivals until a Wizard King rival decided to overrun a small insignificant region to my SW that I had already claimed . Despite the fact that my best armies were away in the NE guarding against a Spawn infestation that was imminent hubris assisted the Rat Emperor to  decide two full stacks led by a level 4  Vassal hero would be enough to take out the Wizard King's border city .....spoiler....it wasn't .....as two and a half reinforcing stacks lead by a level 6 and a Level 5 hero arrived and despite the ratboys inflicting reasonable losses on them, totally wiped out my  armies in an epic tactical scrap where the enemy use of electric shock weapons and spells proved critical.

I got 330 out of the 500 points needed to make my first Pantheon progression so all was not lost but it's back to the drawing board with a second attempt at the tutorial tomorrow and I cannot wait !

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Sir Slash

I am retired but still have work to do. Sometimes the work pays well, sometimes not so much.  :buck2:   I am listening to hear the expected hard truth about this game from the Grogs Grapevine. Gentlemen, if you please...
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

acctingman

Necro'ing this tread.

I've never played a game in this series nor any game similar to it. According to the Steam reviews it seems popular.

I'm guessing those here who bought it have enjoyed it?

Any tips for a new guy?  :RockOn:

JasonPratt

I gather it doesn't play much like earlier games in the series, which may be a good thing? The earlier games were Master of Magic successors, thus similar to Civ but with fast-moving tactical battles on somewhat randomly-generated maps.

AoW3 fully expanded up, and AoW: Shadow Magic (i.e. AoW2.5), are still both well worth the money. I have most of a video AAR posted up on an AoWSM campaign I cobbled together for my nieces as the guest stars, to amuse them back when they were younger, here at Grogheads: https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=23396.0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Anybody have any updates on this game now that there is a patch or two out? 

It got rave reviews on here when it first came out, generally favorable reviews on Steam, but I've learned with the AoW games to let them season a little bit to get the play-balancing right. 

I enjoyed AoW3 but often found the AI to be less effective on the strategic map.  The AI on the tactical map was ruthless.

Tanaka

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 15, 2023, 01:52:51 PMAnybody have any updates on this game now that there is a patch or two out? 

It got rave reviews on here when it first came out, generally favorable reviews on Steam, but I've learned with the AoW games to let them season a little bit to get the play-balancing right. 

I enjoyed AoW3 but often found the AI to be less effective on the strategic map.  The AI on the tactical map was ruthless.

I was excited for this game until I figured out how bad the strategic AI is. Now waiting for the AI patch to see if they can improve it at all...

solops

So, How is this game now? It is on sale and if some of its shortcomings have been addressed it may be a "buy".
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

FarAway Sooner

I'm interested in the same thing.  The latest free patch adds some interesting new content (including a Magic Item Forge) and I've heard that the ability to customize races and cultures is top notch.

Is the strategic AI getting better, and/or are mods making a difference for this one yet?  I'm deeply intrigued by the title but have learned to hold off on early purchases of Paradox products...

Gusington

Just read a little bit about the new pseudo-steampunk Reaver faction. I am now more interested  :Nerd:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quick question: is the multiplayer asynch (as in AoW3, although that was somewhat experimental iirc)?

Update: answered in Steam discussion, asynch for classic turn base.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!