To clip or not to clip...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 31, 2016, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

Quote from: Crossroads on September 05, 2016, 12:31:43 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 05, 2016, 08:05:33 AM
Counter mutilation aside, it is not a great looking game.

Hush! It is not allowed to criticise Simonsen maps!  :-X

The maps not bad IMO, but you gotta admit that the 70's were not the apex of counter graphics.

Of course, hacking them into octagons with a machete in no way improves the situation.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

The map is alright, but those drab old counters do not bring any nostalgic sentiments about the 'good 'ol days'. We're fortunate to have so many outstanding board games being produced today.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: panzerde on September 05, 2016, 12:40:54 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on September 05, 2016, 12:31:43 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 05, 2016, 08:05:33 AM
Counter mutilation aside, it is not a great looking game.

Hush! It is not allowed to criticise Simonsen maps!  :-X

The maps not bad IMO, but you gotta admit that the 70's were not the apex of counter graphics.

Of course, hacking them into octagons with a machete in no way improves the situation.

70's were not the apex of map graphics either to be honest. Just don't say so out loud   :))
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JudgeDredd

I like the map too...but those counters are awful.
Alba gu' brath

ArizonaTank

I'm a C4 corner cutter myself.  Why clip just one counter when you can clip 10 at once?  OK, not as pleasing as a nice rounded corner, but still a good compromise to get a lot done quickly.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

GJK

Fuck no.  I threw that C4 POS down the street once I made a jig for a nail clipper.  That worked ok until the OL clipper was discovered. 

Pros:
You can clip 5-10 counters at once (well, you can attempt to).

Cons:
The top of the stack that you cut come out looking like stop signs while the ones at the bottom hardly look like they were nicked, thus, if you're even slightly OCD it will drive you bat-shit crazy that every counter is of different sizes on the corners (especially noticeable when stacked).

You have to jam the counters into the corner of the C4 jig in order to *try* to get as even a cut as possible but as early as the half dozen stack that you've tried to hold in place, your hand begins to cramp from the pressure that you're applying.  You get this cute little wooden rail to try and keep the stack squared and even in the corner of the jig but try squeezing as hard as you can your index finger and thumb together repeatedly a few times and you'll see what I mean about hand cramping.

And I bet you that I could clip 7-10 counters with the OL rounder about as fast as someone can with the C4 and mine will look a whole hell of a lot better.  That kills the Pro of the C4 right there.

Sorry AT - if it works for you, that's great but I have a moral obligation to warn people to NOT use that thing.  I'm actually replacing several core modules of ASL now because I clipped them with the C4 and now that I have the OL clipper I can't stand the difference.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Crossroads

I am pretty sure there isn't anyone without OCD here  ;D

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on September 16, 2016, 06:12:53 AM
Fuck no.  I threw that C4 POS down the street once I made a jig for a nail clipper.  That worked ok until the OL clipper was discovered. 

Pros:
You can clip 5-10 counters at once (well, you can attempt to).

Cons:
The top of the stack that you cut come out looking like stop signs while the ones at the bottom hardly look like they were nicked, thus, if you're even slightly OCD it will drive you bat-shit crazy that every counter is of different sizes on the corners (especially noticeable when stacked).

You have to jam the counters into the corner of the C4 jig in order to *try* to get as even a cut as possible but as early as the half dozen stack that you've tried to hold in place, your hand begins to cramp from the pressure that you're applying.  You get this cute little wooden rail to try and keep the stack squared and even in the corner of the jig but try squeezing as hard as you can your index finger and thumb together repeatedly a few times and you'll see what I mean about hand cramping.

And I bet you that I could clip 7-10 counters with the OL rounder about as fast as someone can with the C4 and mine will look a whole hell of a lot better.  That kills the Pro of the C4 right there.

Sorry AT - if it works for you, that's great but I have a moral obligation to warn people to NOT use that thing.  I'm actually replacing several core modules of ASL now because I clipped them with the C4 and now that I have the OL clipper I can't stand the difference.

It works fine for me...  :)  I recommend it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

panzerde

I've decided to escalate to more serious counter clipping tools.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Crossroads

Quote from: panzerde on September 16, 2016, 10:48:41 AM
I've decided to escalate to more serious counter clipping tools.

I am replacing my lamination machine with this:

Crossroads

I am however keeping this. For the seventh son of my seventh son!  O0

That's the White Star Rising counters getting some TLC  :smitten:

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on September 16, 2016, 11:44:27 AM
^lovely. just lovely.

It's what I'd call serious Friday night fun! (It is an evening here already  :D )