To clip or not to clip...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 31, 2016, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

Quote from: mirth on December 26, 2016, 03:54:22 AM
How can anyone pretend the untrimmed counter looks better?  :uglystupid2:

Ya got me. I find it incomprehensible.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Cyrano

AAAAAAGH.  The mutilation is, indeed, worse than the corner fuzz.

Just get the flipping Oregon and MOVE ON.

The only credible debate is +/- the .5 on the trim.  That is all.

And stickering your cards.

And miscegenation of your game components.

(I really should post pictures of my Memoir '44 collection.  Panzerde would be so pleased.)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

I agree about the Oregon Laminations trimmer, but that isn't a terrible trim job. Far better than the tufted counter that won't stack for a damn.

And is there really a debate about the +/- on the trim? 2.5mm is the way to go.

I don't know what the stickering is about, but it sounds wrong. As is miscegenation of game components.

Laminating charts has become mandatory for me.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

Not Brant's, GJK's ancients...particularly the status markers.  They're hurt-y.

Stickering:  Origins 16.  Out to lunch (literally).  We're discussing counter clipping (yeah, I know) and I off-handedly mention to Doug that when one plays Memoir '44 D-Day Landings one must have a Breakthrough deck for each of the six maps.  Now, one can buy a lot of Winter War expansions (not cheap) or one can use two regular Memoir decks.  The trick is that there are certain cards that have an extra ability in Breakthrough.  To remind one of this, there's a set of stickers one can download from Boardgamegeek and apply to one's cards.  Doug shot me a look that was one of the grandest admixtures of pity, revulsion, and disgust I have ever seen.  I laugh still to think of it.  I also mentioned that playing D-Day Landings requires at least four sets of Memoir '44.  As a storage convenience, I have one Memoir box that is all terrain, one that is all figures, one that is all maps, and one that is all the other stuff.  This is miscegenation and is also not approved.

Fast forward to the next day and my wife and I are wandering the con and there's a fellow looking to play "Triumph and Glory".  As I had just bought it I stopped by to chat.  He was particularly proud of the fact that he had carefully downloaded and stickered ALL his cards to make them, in some way, easier to use.  He did not understand why my wife and I politely stifled laughter.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

Quote from: Cyrano on December 26, 2016, 12:27:06 PM
Not Brant's, GJK's ancients...particularly the status markers.  They're hurt-y.

Those are an affront to decency. I had already blotted the image from my mind.

As to the rest of it, do whatever you like to your Memoir stuff. It's not a real wargame :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on December 26, 2016, 12:02:37 PM
I agree about the Oregon Laminations trimmer, but that isn't a terrible trim job. Far better than the tufted counter that won't stack for a damn.

And is there really a debate about the +/- on the trim? 2.5mm is the way to go.

I don't know what the stickering is about, but it sounds wrong. As is miscegenation of game components.

Laminating charts has become mandatory for me.

Mine is a 2.0mm cutter, works a treat for me. There's a few pictures somewhere here about how the corners turned out

EDIT: Here they are  :smitten:

+1 for chart lamination  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

I'd be fine with a 2mm trimmer as well. I split the difference when I ordered the 2.5. I could never go back to nail clippers for trimming.

Bison

I like the slightly clipped look Cyrano.

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on December 26, 2016, 12:48:14 PM
I'd be fine with a 2mm trimmer as well. I split the difference when I ordered the 2.5. I could never go back to nail clippers for trimming.

Quote from: Cyrano on December 26, 2016, 11:52:35 AM

Just get the flipping Oregon and MOVE ON.

The only credible debate is +/- the .5 on the trim.  That is all.

Amen. Just pick the Oregon Lam cutter you like and you're good to go :bd:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on December 26, 2016, 12:27:06 PM
Stickering:  Origins 16.  Out to lunch (literally).  We're discussing counter clipping (yeah, I know) and I off-handedly mention to Doug that when one plays Memoir '44 D-Day Landings one must have a Breakthrough deck for each of the six maps.  Now, one can buy a lot of Winter War expansions (not cheap) or one can use two regular Memoir decks.  The trick is that there are certain cards that have an extra ability in Breakthrough.  To remind one of this, there's a set of stickers one can download from Boardgamegeek and apply to one's cards.  Doug shot me a look that was one of the grandest admixtures of pity, revulsion, and disgust I have ever seen.  I laugh still to think of it.  I also mentioned that playing D-Day Landings requires at least four sets of Memoir '44.  As a storage convenience, I have one Memoir box that is all terrain, one that is all figures, one that is all maps, and one that is all the other stuff.  This is miscegenation and is also not approved.

Philistine.

That doesn't hold a candle to the dude in the FB Wargamer's group that not only routinely hacks his counters to bits using an X-Acto knife and (apparently) a hacksaw, but slices his maps to bits and mounts them on foamcore to make them "3D."

But you're still a Philistine.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

Quote from: panzerde on December 26, 2016, 12:57:22 PM
but slices his maps to bits and mounts them on foamcore to make them "3D."

That's not cool!

mirth

Quote from: Bison on December 26, 2016, 12:50:49 PM
I like the slightly clipped look Cyrano.

That is because you, sir, are a man of quality ;)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: panzerde on December 26, 2016, 12:57:22 PMbut slices his maps to bits and mounts them on foamcore to make them "3D."

That's Clair Conzelman, and for about 7-8 years there, he was an OWC regular who occasionally pitched in with the CP Wargames. 

He's also a ring-knocker and was an active duty armor officer for a long time.

He was involved in one of the very early design sessions for the GEMSTONE system in 2010, when me, Cap'n D, Dr S, and LTC Galope were discussing the model we were originally implementing for the game.

I've never seen any of the 3D maps in person, but my understanding is that he's doing that w/ copies of the maps, not the originals.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

panzerde

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 26, 2016, 01:36:08 PM
Quote from: panzerde on December 26, 2016, 12:57:22 PMbut slices his maps to bits and mounts them on foamcore to make them "3D."

That's Clair Conzelman, and for about 7-8 years there, he was an OWC regular who occasionally pitched in with the CP Wargames. 

He's also a ring-knocker and was an active duty armor officer for a long time.

He was involved in one of the very early design sessions for the GEMSTONE system in 2010, when me, Cap'n D, Dr S, and LTC Galope were discussing the model we were originally implementing for the game.

I've never seen any of the 3D maps in person, but my understanding is that he's doing that w/ copies of the maps, not the originals.

He's a crank.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 26, 2016, 01:36:08 PM

That would be acceptable.