Main Menu

Spammers

Started by steve58, November 25, 2021, 09:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: Victor on February 23, 2023, 07:03:40 PMI saw a forum have a lot of trouble with spammers once. They came up with a pretty unique solution. Instead of IP banning or extra work in registering, they found what worked wasn't to try and play whack-a-mole (the bad ones will inevitably make a new account somehow).

Instead they had all new users start with a status where the first X posts had to be moderator approved individually before becoming visible to anyone else. If it wasn't mod approved in a certain time, it got deleted automatically.

Then if the spammers still got through that probation period, instead of being banned/deleted and encouraged to make a new account, the spammer would be limited to a 'special' forum that nobody aside from the admins saw, where the automated scripts would happily post their junk that didn't clutter up the rest of the forum.

This is a great idea.  I'll defer to JH's expertise of course.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao