Steam allows downloading in background again

Started by skeptical.platypus, April 11, 2014, 02:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeptical.platypus

I'm not sure when this feature got added back in or if I stumbled on a bit of a workaround, but I just got Steam to start downloading in the background while I flailed at Arma3.

I alt-tabed back to Steam\library\downloads while playing, and as usual did not see the resume button. However, when I pressed the Play button, the download resumed. I've been playing and downloading simultaneously for about 1/2 hour now. I can pause and restart normally while still playing.

It's all very exciting.

The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Nefaro

Thought I saw a setting for this in the game property menu somewhere, or the the overall Steam settings.

Of course, Steam settings don't always stay where you put them so it may not be as reliable as we'd like.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Nefaro on April 11, 2014, 05:38:13 PM
Thought I saw a setting for this in the game property menu somewhere, or the the overall Steam settings.

Of course, Steam settings don't always stay where you put them so it may not be as reliable as we'd like.

You're right -- it's in both places. There is a global setting, and each individual game allows to override that.

I'm still pretty excited.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces