Headquarters: World War II

Started by SirAndrewD, February 09, 2024, 02:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

This one was new to me, just got the demo on next fest.

A turn based tactical covering one of the most neglected conflicts in computer gaming, the Second World War's Normandy Landings and campaign in France. Yeah I don't blame you if you haven't heard of it, look it up, use the phrase "D-Day" if you have trouble finding info.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1840800/Headquarters_World_War_II/
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

acctingman

Downloaded this yesterday. Seems like an updated Battle Academy at first glance, but I only spent like 10 minutes on it  :ThumbsUp:

SirAndrewD

Quote from: acctingman on February 09, 2024, 03:30:18 PMDownloaded this yesterday. Seems like an updated Battle Academy at first glance, but I only spent like 10 minutes on it  :ThumbsUp:

Yeah, or similar to The Troop.  Maybe a tiny bit more complex.  Very RTS style graphics.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I did love me some Battle Academy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Finished the tutorial and seems very promising so far.  Might be landing in a sweet spot between Battle Academy and Steel Panthers.

acctingman

I would shave Gus's nuttsack for a Steel Panthers 2

SirAndrewD

Quote from: acctingman on February 09, 2024, 04:39:49 PMI would shave Gus's nuttsack for a Steel Panthers 2

I think it'd be Steel Panthers 4 but I get your point. 

Matrix announced Steel Tigers years and years ago but I don't think there's any danger of that ever seeing the light of day at this point.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on February 09, 2024, 05:02:51 PMJoke's on you. Already shaved.  :ThumbsUp:

There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking.

But yes, I'm really liking the feel of the first mission.  The game has some good mechanics and having individual troops you can track is nice.  Interesting return fire mechanics and auto overwatch. 

Tanks seem tough, only saw one go up on a one shot, they typically take crew loss before they're knocked out.

A few things are a bit silly like a rechargeable instant reinforce for units but that's nothing too upsetting.  It gives you a bit more survivability at least.

Doing morale damage is as important as causing casualties, nice touch there.  It also seems to account for WIA vs KIA. 

I like it as least as much as the first stages of the Troop and I think a bit more.  First impression is stronger.  Might be leading towards a "Buy" on this one.

Looks like they took a few ideas from Battle Academy and Close Combat and put them in a turn based shell.

Zulu1966

Yeah - looks like a very nice little game ...definite purchase.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

AndyBrown

Thanks for drawing attention to this.  My own reaction is was "If only The Troop had these graphics"!  Some of the mechanics (like the instant reinforce) are far too arcadey for me so I doubt I'll be buying it but I agree it's a solid game.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think I'll pick it up.  the gfx and sounds are much nicer than in The Troop.  I enjoyed going through the tutorial and the first few missions of the mini-German campaign that I've played so far.

I personally find a few of the gameplay elements a bit too "board gamey" but not to the point that they're deal-breakers.  The insta-reinforce button is, for me, the most out of place.  I wonder if they'll add an option to disable it?

Grim.Reaper

Sounds like april 11th is release date.

DesertFox

I've messed around with the demo some and I really like this game so far.  I have always loved the Battle Academy series and this seems like an upgrade in just about every area to that series.  Sure, there are some gamey elements like the insta-reinforce but I don't feel like they are game-breakers.  There have been a couple of times where the graphics have made me go "wow"!

This one's probably going to be an easy purchase for me when the full game is released.
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

Gusington

I loved Battle Academy as well.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd