The War Z - Zombie MMO

Started by Tpek, October 14, 2012, 11:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

http://www.thewarz.com/index.html

Just found out about it through Impulse.

I'll try checking it out as soon as I can (as if I don't have enough to play right now :P ).

EDIT: I've bought the Legend option (50$), which gives me access tomorrow and several guest passes (in case anyone wants them....
and I know some who probably do :D)

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Kushan

Looks interesting. Is it like Day Z where you have to gather food, water, etc in order to survive? Is it co-op or Free for All?
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

It sounds interesting, but there are two things that make me scratch my head a bit:

1) Their server capacities don't seem to be terribly large, and they mention renting private servers (with stated limits of 70 to 250 players or something) so it sounds more like a large hosted multi-player game with persistent characters as opposed to a "Massive" online game.  Like Diablo 3 in that sense, perhaps?  It may still be quite fun, though, despite limitations.

2) The FAQ says there are no stats, skills, etc.  So this isn't a real RPG?  It sounds to be a shooter with some inventory management so this does seem to be more like the "Day-Z mod" type of game, with officially hosted servers.  I kinda like making RPG customization choices, and notably the different gameplay styles that evolve from having all the skills & stats, so this makes me a bit sad.  :-[

One huge draw I can see is the Exploration side.  It's some of my favorite kinda gameplay, digging around in unexplored areas & finding shiny lootz there.   8)

Steelgrave

Also, is it PvP, PvE, or both? I kicked around the website and FAQ and didn't see any mention of this.

Tpek

Quote from: Steelgrave on October 14, 2012, 03:40:27 PM
Also, is it PvP, PvE, or both? I kicked around the website and FAQ and didn't see any mention of this.

Supposedly both.
I'm not quite sure.
I made an impulse buy and will check it out when I get the chance to :P

eyebiter

Any gameplay videos available?. From the HUD screenshots it looks like a first person shooter.

jomni

The most important question for me:  Is gameplay realistic (ARMA 2) or arcade (Left 4 Dead)?

Toonces

I certainly wouldn't mind a guest pass if you still have any lying around... :)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

I'm willing to check out the Guest Pass, too, but I'd like to hear some impressions from you first, Tpek.  :D

Kushan

If you have a third pass I'd like to check it out as well.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Tpek

Sure, I've got enough of those (each is supposd to be for a mere 2 days though :P).
However, the game has not been released yet.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on October 15, 2012, 05:13:48 AM
Sure, I've got enough of those (each is supposd to be for a mere 2 days though :P).

Ahhh, I see.  So the passes are for after release. 

That's no sack sweat.  I'm sure we all have way too much gaming backlog anyway.  ;)

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on October 15, 2012, 07:35:46 AM
Quote from: Tpek on October 15, 2012, 05:13:48 AM

Ahhh, I see.  So the passes are for after release. 

That's no sack sweat.  I'm sure we all have way too much gaming backlog anyway.  ;)

I've no idea what you would do with the guest passes before then :P

PanzersEast

Ok, I'm a sucker for survival games.. purchased and if anyone wants to team/meet up, let me know.  Would be nice to get a group of us as they have set the servers up in a way that will place you in a group together either by friends or by a overal group (you don't have to hunt one another down).  There are a couple of decent videos on Youtube and some FAQ out there on the game....  I also read where they plan to continue to update and add map locations like Paris etc.... all the while expanding the other aspects of the game like more enterable buildings etc....  Also, it handles being a bandit in a different way that I like, as well as if you die (you loose your loot and a 24 hour cooling off period to reuse your character). 

PE