Conquest of Elysium 3... on Steam???

Started by Tpek, October 25, 2012, 08:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211900/

Okay, that I did not expect.
While I'm aware of Steam's Greenlight project, that allows non-mainstream games into the store, this one got in without it.

I never really imagined that Steam would start to cater to gamers such as ourselves in every way. :P

And mind you the game is currently only 9$, quite recommended. :)

Zulu1966

That and Unity of command in the space of a week.

Either they are running out of games to sell or XCOM has made them think - wow...turn based strategy - maybe we should sell a few more of 'em ... either way its all good for these guys ...
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Sir Slash

I saw that. Is it any good? The screen-shots weren't too impressive.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Huw the Poo

I tried the demo and I don't think I "got" it.  Wandered about a bit, had a few fights, got killed.  The end.  However it has a legion of fans who swear by it.  I must be missing something.

Tpek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 25, 2012, 12:29:13 PM
I tried the demo and I don't think I "got" it.  Wandered about a bit, had a few fights, got killed.  The end.  However it has a legion of fans who swear by it.  I must be missing something.

It's a niche game, hence my surprise at it being on Steam.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tpek on October 25, 2012, 12:47:41 PM
It's a niche game, hence my surprise at it being on Steam.

I have no problems with niche games...as long as I'm in that niche! ;)  If someone would just explain the brilliance of it...

Nefaro

The thing that scared me away was reports of the terrible & uninformative UI. 

At that price, it may get on the purchase list sometime, anyway.

I dunno what's got into Steam lately, but whatever caused their change of heart regarding some 'indie' strategy games - let's hope it continues.

spelk

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 25, 2012, 11:37:44 AM
I saw that. Is it any good? The screen-shots weren't too impressive.

Based on it's heritage, the screenshots will never sell it, to anyone. Art assets are retro, and sparse, especially in the battlescreens, but it's more about whether they convey enough of the information needed to dig deeper into the strategy of the game.

Sparhawk

I picked up COE 3 on GamersGate last weekend and have had a fun time playing. It is on the light side, a great game to play without having to think too deeply, which has its purposes. COE 3 got me interested in trying Dominions 3. Now that is going to take some time to wrap my head around, I just finished the book they have for a manual and am excited to play. I must say that if the gaphics in COE 3 are the direction Illwinter is going it is a nice improvement over what's in Dominions 3.