Age of Wonders series

Started by Bismarck, February 17, 2012, 01:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

GOG had all three titles for $12.95.  Is this worth picking up?
Jim Cobb

Shelldrake

I would go with the last one (Shadow Magic) but others may have a different opinion. Apparently there is a really good Lord of the Rings mod available.

http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=386
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Martok

I played the first one on a friend's computer while we were sharing an apartment.  I recall enjoying it at least mildly, and it did have a certain charm. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Fighting Farmer

All three are worth your time. The third (Shadow Magic) is the most popular due to its modability but the first two have the better campaigns, in my opinion.

Greybriar

Shadow Magic also made it possible for the player to found new cities.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Bismarck on February 17, 2012, 01:49:09 PM
GOG had all three titles for $12.95.  Is this worth picking up?

AoW:SM is practically the closest game currently available to Master of Magic, and with Dom3 is still my vote for best turn-based fantasy strategy game available. It does almost everything MoM used to do, plus a number of things it never could do (like multi-player), and almost everything it does "the same" it does "better".

Aside from a couple of races missing from MoM (but replaced with quite nice factions), the Spell of Mastery (which I do miss for endgame purposes), and multiple troops in the squads (all AoW:SM squads are exactly one troop), everything else is as good as MoM or better. Better graphics, more mapping details, better music (and the ability to use your own mp3 list if you want), better and more pre-created wizards, better random generation options, vastly much better tactical battles, infinitely better modding: the list goes on and on.

(As noted, the first two games--and SM is really AoW2.5--have better campaigns than SM. But there is almost no reason, except for a few faction differences, to ever play them on skirmish maps. SM is by far the way to go.)

In conclusion: if you love MoM and ever wanted a polished basically bug-free update, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is currently the best available. It would still be worth buying at its original retail price. (But make sure it's patched up to the full technically unofficial limit.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!