Dune movie coming in October 2021

Started by steve58, September 09, 2020, 02:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I wanted to see it in the theater,  but I broke down and watched it on HBOmax. It was very well done. The costume, make up, set design, weapons and vehicles were all very fantastic and made the movie visually stunning and captivating. Most of the characters were extremely well cast. I was, however, disappointed by the fact that this is a trilogy, and this first movie ends at a critical part and turning point of the story. It's frustrating that it will be a couple of years before we can see the revision of this great story in its entirety.

I was also disappointed that they seem to have left out a key character from the original film, Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, played by Sting, in the 1980s film. He was a great part of the story that seems to have been omitted altogether. Curious.

Otherwise, two thumbs up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 22, 2021, 06:57:07 AM
I was also disappointed that they seem to have left out a key character from the original film, Feyd-Rautha Harrkonen, played by Sting, in the 1980s film. He was a great part of the story that seems to have been omitted altogether. Curious.

Hunh?  A bit jarring that.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 22, 2021, 07:04:13 AM
I was also disappointed that they seem to have left out a key character from the original film, Feyd-Rautha Harrkonen, played by Sting, in the 1980s film. He was a great part of the story that seems to have been omitted altogether. Curious.

Hunh?  A bit jarring that.

Yes. I'm not sure of the logic or rationale for that. They did make "The Beast" Rabban a much more compelling character, but he had very limited screen time in this first film of the trilogy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Anguille

I wanted to see it in the theater,  but I broke down and watched it on HBOmax. It was very well done. The costume, make up, set design, weapons and vehicles were all very fantastic and made the movie visually stunning and captivating. Most of the characters were extremely well cast. I was, however, disappointed by the fact that this is a trilogy, and this first movie ends at a critical part and turning point of the story. It's frustrating that it will be a couple of years before we can see the revision of this great story in its entirety.

Otherwise, two thumbs up.
Same for me. Great movie but a little too long. Could have been shorter.

ArizonaTank

Saw it on HBOMax. I was a little lukewarm at first, but then got into it at the end. Yes, disappointing that we will have to wait for Part II.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the studio has even given Part II the green light yet. So it may be several years until the next one.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

This scene was so awesome. It oozes atmosphere and captures everything I always pictured a force like the Sardaukar would be. I wish someone would make a game based on the set and costume design in this movie.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MOS:96B2P

I read the books as a kid and really enjoyed part one.  Great show, much better than the version produced in the 1980s?  I also read online that part two was "green lighted".  So, I hope part two is out sooner than later.     

Tpek

Dune has always been one of my top favorite sci-fi books, and I quite liked the (real) sequels, even if they got pretty darn weird towards the end.
I also liked the 1984 movie and the 2 mini-series specials in the 2000s, so I can't wait to watch this adaptation.

JH, Dune the novel is actually split into 3 "parts" (it's still a single book, just some inner-division), so the story can lend itself to making a trilogy out of it much better than the Hobbit did.

Ubercat

Is it certain that there's no Feyd ("All I see is an Atreides that I want to kill.") Rautha? Is it possible that he just won't appear until the second or third movie?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on October 24, 2021, 06:27:17 PM
Is it certain that there's no Feyd ("All I see is an Atreides that I want to kill.") Rautha? Is it possible that he just won't appear until the second or third movie?

It is possible, but I'm not sure why they would have left him out of the first movie when all of the other main House Harkonnen characters were introduced.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Why 'Dune' made these 5 key changes from Frank Herbert's book (an interview with the Dune director)

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-10-21/dune-movie-book-changes-explained-denis-villeneuve

Herbert's sprawling novel brims with subplots and side characters, presenting a major challenge to anyone trying to distill the narrative down to even two films, let alone one. To trim the story to a more manageable size, Villeneuve and his co-writers took a scalpel — or, in some cases, a more blunt instrument — to Herbert's book, excising certain characters, such as the Baron's scheming nephew Feyd-Rautha (memorably played by Sting in Lynch's version), and moving others to the margins.

SirAndrewD

I thought it was magnificent. 

It was worth it alone for being the first time a filmed version of Dune portrayed warfare in the Dune universe correctly. 

The only downside was having to wait for part 2. 

On that note, Villeneuve has addressed a lot of concerns about characters missing or given shorter screen time saying that was intentional to give them more time in the second part.  This includes Feyd. 

I think, from a narrative perspective, that's the proper choice.  Feyd should be different from the other Harkonnens and I think his introduction should be jarring.  I imagine Villeneuve is saving his intro for the big Gladiatorial set piece with the captured Atredies soldier.  I think that'd be a really good way to meet him.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Redwolf

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 25, 2021, 10:55:35 AM
I think, from a narrative perspective, that's the proper choice.  Feyd should be different from the other Harkonnens and I think his introduction should be jarring.  I imagine Villeneuve is saving his intro for the big Gladiatorial set piece with the captured Atredies soldier.  I think that'd be a really good way to meet him.

I'm on board with that. As long a Feyd is played by Rowan Atkinson :)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 26, 2021, 04:03:16 PM
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dune-sequel-officially-greenlit-by-legendary-entertainment-set-for-a-2023-release-date

The sequel is set to hit theaters on Oct. 20, 2023.

I saw that.  Fantastic news. 

It'd be a real shame that we finally got Dune done properly and only half the story.

All the really good stuff is in the second 2/3.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback