Google Chrome wiped out my stuff!

Started by W8taminute, June 14, 2022, 07:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Ok I'm a bit peeved about what Chrome did to my computer.

So I fire up my rig when I get home from work and I noticed the "Welcome" page as if Chrome was freshly installed.  I asked everyone in the house if they re-installed Chrome.  Everyone said no.  So I think maybe Chrome automatically updated itself?  In any case all my saved passwords/autofill are gone and so are my bookmarks.  I get most of my passwords back when I sign in to Chrome but none of my bookmarks are there.  Why does Chrome think it's doing me a favor by wiping out all my stuff? 

I can't remember all my bookmarks or passwords and I'm literally stark raving mad. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

Yeah, Chrome pulled that exact crap on me on my work laptop recently.  Took me a good while to get all my bookmarks and logins back together.  I wonder how many people are permanently locked out of old accounts every time Google does one of these helpful updates?

I've been sticking with Firefox on my main PC and never dealt with such issues.   O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Same exact thing happened to me about a year ago. Welcome.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I thought I was imagining things.  Think it's time to consider another browser that is not so intrusive.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Check out Brave.  I've been using it for a couple of years now and it's pretty decent.  Fast loading and minimally intrusive once you change the default settings.  Their serach engine isn't the best but it's getting better and you can change the default.  I've been bouncing between the Brave search and Starpage.  I was also using DuckDuckGo but the recent announcements that they lied about protecting user anonymity and that they had started "curating" search results caused me to stop using them.

W8taminute

I use Brave at work and like it a lot since it does run faster than Chrome.  Our network security tends to drag down Chrome but Brave is noticeably faster.

I'll have to try Brave out at home. 

solops

About a week ago something weird started with my e-mail. I can no longer get Outlook to access my gmail account, even after completely re-installing the account.
Maybe these problems have to do with a Microsoft change and not Chrome or Outlook?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

Interesting.  That scenario makes sense.  Microsoft would target Chrome it's biggest competitor.