Check out the latest build of Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, January 17, 2016, 12:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronX

Nice walk through! It's going to be an awesome game when it's finished, or at least in beta. I really like the multi-crew concept and the Constellation looks great. The attention to detail is amazing.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 26, 2016, 01:36:32 PM
did you get the class 4 ship sorted out?
He loaded it in another hanger and it loaded fine.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 24, 2016, 04:55:40 PM

JH I really appreciated that video and it does look awesome. Like I said, I'm probably going to jump in one day (I've been thinking more about it the last month or so).

But whilst the video was informative - it did leave me thinking "DCS in Space". By that I mean, a lot (ALOT) going on in development (look at the hangers, the ships, the functionality) but nothing actually really gelling it all together. A bit like DCS and it's plethora of modules but nothing really pulling everything into that world they're talking about.

For example your little fighter that's deployable from the RSI Constellation Andromeda - flyable you say in another part of the game but not deployable from the ship yet. And yet....so many other ships about. I know...alpha.

That left me thinking - do I really want another sim - whether it looks great or not...whether it plans a lot or not - that is going to be way off on providing much in the way of a game.

That question is rhetorical and I haven't figured out the answer yet.

I'm still gobsmacked at the price of some of those ships though  :hide:
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

You can jump in with a fairly decent and versatile starter ship for something in the $30 range. For the content that is already in-game, I think that is a totally reasonable entry point price. You know you are going to get this eventually, JD, so you might as well give it a shot now!  >:D

If you end up enjoying it, and you find yourself wanting a different or better ship without having to pay full price for a new craft, CIG offers upgrade packages where you can upgrade to a new ship for a lower price than just buying the new ship outright.

I know what you mean about the game feeling like an empty sandbox without much content holding it together or driving the players forward.  That is partially true, but there is a persistent universe in-game presently, I just have not showcased it yet. In the persistent world, there are missions that you can go on, either solo or with other players, that will take you from one location to another in order to accomplish various objectives for cash. You can then buy new armor, weapons, ship mods, etc. with the money you earn. Yes, there presently is no trading, mining, or transportation type missions, etc. in the game yet, but these are going to be added over the next couple of builds. They will get there.

In the meantime, I really do enjoy flying around and sightseeing in the world which presently has "100 Sextillion kilometers" to explore...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

JH - I noticed later in the video you loaded a ship and said you didn't actually own it. So you can use the hanger to view ALL the ships RSI has to offer without actually owning them?

Also - what are the blue bubbles visible in some of the cockpits?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 27, 2016, 01:37:52 AM
JH - I noticed later in the video you loaded a ship and said you didn't actually own it. So you can use the hanger to view ALL the ships RSI has to offer without actually owning them?

Also - what are the blue bubbles visible in some of the cockpits?

No. I think I mentioned that from time to time, the developer runs free to fly specials where they make some of the ships available for all players to try out. During these promotions, you can load the ships up, fly them, etc. They were running a few of these promotions for the holidays.

The blue bubble displays a 3D tactical map during flight.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Thanks and yes you did mention the promo's. I thought the hanger was a different thing - where you could see the ships and not actually fly them whereas the promotions allowed you to get in them and fly.

O0
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 27, 2016, 07:05:36 AM
Thanks and yes you did mention the promo's. I thought the hanger was a different thing - where you could see the ships and not actually fly them whereas the promotions allowed you to get in them and fly.

O0

During the promotions it's as if the free to fly craft are in your inventory. It's a brilliant marketing tactic. They run the promotions pretty frequently, too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

...By the way...the size of the blue sphere in some of the ships appears to be bugged. It should be much smaller when functioning properly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Well I picked up the basic package to give it a go...get a couple of purchases in before my hiatus from buying games next year (yep - honest).

I have no impressions yet other than it looks bloody nice...but I knew that. I'm just trying to find my way around things at the moment.  :)
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Sweet! What ship did you get? What's your handle?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Forgot I got a FREE basic setup when I got one of my video cards awhile back...going reinstall tonight and have a look at how things have progressed.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

trek

I bought into SC early this year. Kind of played it off and on while dividing my time between it and Elite Dangerous. Never was much of a Sci Fi  gamer until both of these games came out. I'm finding ED much harder to get into than SC though, but I DL an e-guide from Game Pressure and I'm studying that to try and help me understand what the hell I'm supposed to be doing as well as reading the ED Forums and watching YouTube tutorials. I'm having the most trouble in ED just trying to land on the station pad properly for some reason.

I'm finding the ship combat in both games fantastic. Can't really make up my mind if I prefer one over the other. JH, I think you are spot on that the ship combat in SC is akin in style and method like old style dogfighting such as Il-2. Don't know how much others here have spent on SC but my current tally is probably around $250-$300. I started out with the Avenger Stalker and did some upgrades to it, mostly weapons. Then the last time the Aegis Sabre was on sale I traded the Avenger for it. Upgraded weapons again and now I'm packing two CF-227 Panther Repeaters along with two CF-117 Badger Repeaters. My dogfighting practice results in SP Arena doing Vanduul Swarm have really taken off. The new Pirates ships seem to be harder to take down though. The Sabre is well worth what I paid for it as it packs quite a lethal punch and maneuvers great. I plan on playing only a combat role in SC so I didn't really need the Avenger with the cargo space although I do miss the little guy at times. Who knows maybe I'll rebuy it again. Never thought I'd put this much money into a game but for me personally it seems worth it. Told my wife about it and showed her my new Sabre in the R&Y Hangar. I think she thinks I've lost my mind.

If the Avenger is still available in the starter package I would recommend that one to go with as its' a sweet little fighter with that big gatling gun in the nose and the added benefit of cargo space if you need it. great looking too.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 29, 2016, 07:38:01 PM
Sweet! What ship did you get? What's your handle?
I'm more of a trader than a fighter, so I went with the Aurora MR.

I *think* it's JudgeDredd. I say *think* because it wanted 3 different details - in game, in forum and login or something.

Well, I went and looked in game...it shows 2 names on the top right JudgeDredd and JudgeDredd67. I remember when creating an account that it wanted two names in the top right of the registration form - though I can't remember what they were I'm sure one was the in game moniker and one was for forum identity. I don't recall which I selected for what - I know JudgeDredd was taken for one of them but not the other, hence why one of them is JudgeDredd67

Sorry I can't be clearer  :-X
Alba gu' brath